Whitby firsts denied by Blackhall

AFTER a strong performance in their outing against Darlington RA, Whitby Cricket Club 1sts travelled to Blackhall on Sunday, looking to carry on their good form.

After a light shower, which delayed the start by 15 minutes, Whitby lost the toss and were asked to bat first on a green track which looked as though it would make batting difficult.

Despite the conditions, Whitby got off to a solid start, with Paul Harrison in particular looking in good form hitting some crisp strokes, including a big six off opener Sullivan.

But when he chipped a simple catch to point for a fluent 28, Whitby were left at 34 for 1.

James Hall joined James Fawcett at the crease as the pair appeared to find scoring difficult.

Fawcett battled hard for his 19 but was adjudged lbw with the score on 57, which meant skipper Paul Buck joined Hall to try and build a big partnership.

However this wasn’t the case as Buck was bowled two balls later bring Kai Morris to the crease.

Whitby really were on the back foot when Hall fell to a sharp catch at first slip in the next over. This left Tom Steyert and Morris together with the score still on 57. And when Morris played a careless shot, resulting in a simple catch for long-off, the visitor’s position was weakened even further.

This meant Andrew Wood walked to the middle once again needing to resurrect Whitby’s innings and when Steyert was caught behind for just three, the task became even steeper.

Whitby were now 75-6, but Chris Lyth and Wood were looking in good form.

But Lyth’s innings was cut short on just 13 when he was caught at deep square-leg.

Wood fell not long after was a good-looking 22 when he was also caught in the deep, leaving Steve Allen and youngster Joe Crowther trying to somehow get Whitby back in the game.

But unfortunately they were unable to do this, as Whitby were bowled out for a miserable 118 in just 38.2 overs, as the lost their last two wickets for just nine runs.

Whitby took to the field determined to take early wickets and attempt to make a game of it. And they gave themselves a good chance when Steyert ran through opener Feroz’s defences with just 11 on the board.

But the other opening batsmen Birks was in dominant form as he and Neil Whitworth took the attack to all of the Whitby bowlers as they put on a partnership of 52 in no time.

James Hall, one of only two Whitby bowlers who was able to gain any kind of control, dismissed Whitworth with the score on 63 but the game already seemed beyond Whitby.

This seemed even more evident as Whitby got no luck whatsoever, with a number of leading edges from the bowling of Chris Lyth failing to go hand.

Lyth was the only other bowler who was able to contain the Birks briefly.

The home side eventually wrapped up the game in just the 22nd over for the loss of just two wickets, with Birks finishing 71 not out from just 61 deliveries.

Whitby will need to lift their performance drastically if they are to get any kind of result tomorrow when they travel to promotion contenders Bishop Auckland.