Whitby firsts complete quickfire double

WHITBY Cricket Club 1st XI’s excellent start to the season continued on Saturday when they completed a quickfire double over near neighbours Marske 2nd.

After calling successfully, skipper Paul Harrison took something of a gamble by asking Marske to take first knock on what is generally considered to be the best batting wicket in the league.

This decision seemed to backfire when Marske’s openers Beach and Wiltshire took advantage of some wayward opening bowling and the excellent scoring conditions to get the hosts off to a fine start.

Beach in particular was extremely fluent and he brought up his 50 in rapid time, an innings which included 10 fours, before he fell to the nagging accuracy of Steve Allen.

Allen, in tandem with off-spinner James Hall, who has made an excellent start to the campaign, began to exert control over the batsman, with Hall picking up two well-deserved wickets.

The introduction of Mark Jackson into the attack sparked a collapse in the middle order with the leg-spinner settling into a good rhythm and when Wiltshire fell for a patient 69 (nine fours), Whitby were very much on top.

A hard-hitting cameo from Walker and the experienced Batchelor saw the home side reach the 200 mark before the returning Tom Steyert polished off the tail to crown an impressive comeback by the Whitby attack.

Chasing 201 on such a fast-scoring ground against a depleted Marske bowling unit, Whitby started in confident fashion with Simon Taylor crashing several early boundaries through the cover region to get the scoreboard moving.

Out-of-sorts skipper Harrison was first to go falling to the quick but wayward Helm.

Struggling with a knee injury, Taylor’s onslaught soon ended to leave the game finely balanced at 46/2.

James Fawcett, who has been promoted up the order to number three in recent weeks, again highlighted his batting potential, displaying both a solid technique and temperament.

He, with the “pinch-hitting” Jackson, who entertained the crowd with some robust ball striking, moved Whitby towards the 100 mark before both men fell in the 20s.

Whitby’s in-form duo Ron Lyth and Paul Buck then produced a brilliant partnership to totally demoralise the home attack, with Buck particularly severe on some increasingly ragged bowling.

With the clouds thickening overhead and a few spots of rain in the air, Buck went into overdrive looking for a quick finish to proceedings, bringing up his 50 in only 38 deliveries.

Lyth also showed his class to score almost at will and finish 28 not out but it was left to Buck to finish the game in the grand manner when he deposited seamer Mains into the nearby street to cap a scintillating innings of 72 from only 51 balls which also included 14 fours.

Whitby achieved the win with fully 19 overs remaining and will be hoping to keep up their momentum tomorrow when they entertain Seaton Carew at the Turnbull Ground.

Whitby Cricket Club main sponsor: Passage To India