Whitby 1sts recover to see off Saltburn

Whitby 1st XI enjoyed mixed fortunes this previous weekend, as they managed to recover from a defeat to Northallerton on the Saturday with a four-wicket win away at Saltburn on the Sunday.

On Saturday, Whitby skipper Paul Buck won the toss and once again elected to bat first. The hosts got off to a solid start, with Will Donald looking in particularly good form, until Matthew Towey fell for


Donald, continued to play well and looked set for a big score when he was surprisingly out to a full toss for a fine 57 including six fours and two sixes.

This brought Theo Clarke and James Fawcett together who both battled hard but fell for 10 and 21 respectively.

Richard Howe and Ron Lyth then came together and put together Whitby’s most fruitful partnership with both men scoring freely and putting the visitors’ bowlers under pressure.

Howe eventually fell towards the end of the 50 overs for a superb 71 from just 62 balls, with Lyth finishing with 37 not out.

Whitby finished with a very competitive 234 for 7 from their 50 overs.

Whitby’s fielding effort then began as they would have hoped, as the evergreen Chris Lyth reduced the visitors to three wickets down early, with brought Albert Aurelius and Richard Bartram together.

The pair went on to put on a match-winning partnership as the home side’s fielding and bowling dipped in standard, meaning they could never gain any real control over the run chase.

Whitby's James Fawcett has his bails clipped'picture: Brian Murfield

Whitby's James Fawcett has his bails clipped'picture: Brian Murfield

Aurelius made 60 before he was smartly taken by Clarke on the boundary and Bartram fell to a sharp caught and bowled by Howe for an 86-ball 83 as Whitby picked up four quick wickets to give themselves a glimmer of hope.

Although they were always chasing the game in truth as Northallerton reached the hosts’ total for the loss of seven wickets with 10 balls to spare.

Whitby then travelled to Saltburn on Sunday seeking a win to bounce back from their slip-up the previous day.

Skipper Buck once again won the toss, but this time chose to bowl first on a wicket that looked as though it would assist the seam bowlers early on. And this was the case, as Howe dismissed one of the Saltburn openers with a good short ball in the first few overs.

However, following this Whitby were forced to work hard and stay patient as both Howe and Tom Steyert beat bat on a number of occasions.

Howe was eventually rewarded once again when wicketkeeper Ron Lyth took a brilliant one-handed catch to dismiss the Sam Perry for a hard-fought 21.

Whitby then continued to work hard with the ball and in field, applying constant pressure to home side’s batting effort. They managed to pick up wickets at regular intervals with only Trevor Leech showing any real resistance as he made 36 in the middle order.

Saltburn finished with 150 for 9 from their 50 overs, with Steve Allen being the pick of Whitby’s bowlers as he finished with 4-26 from his 13 overs.

Whitby began their innings knowing they would have to bat well on a tough wicket, and they didn’t start particularly well losing two early wickets.

This left Theo Clarke to hold things together.

Clarke a solid 32 before falling to the spin of Leech.

James Fawcett then fell soon after, meaning that Howe and Lyth were once again brought together with Whitby needing a partnership.

The pair began where the left off the night before as both looked to be positive and take the attack to the home side.

Both men looked well set at the crease before Lyth top edged a shot and was caught for a fluent 24. Lyth’s dismissal was quickly followed by that of Kai Morris leaving Buck and Howe to see Whitby over the line in just the 33rd over for the loss of 6 wickets, with Howe finishing unbeaten on 50 and Buck on six.