Whitby U16s too good for Wetherby

Scott Armstrong finds a gap in the Wetherby defence
Scott Armstrong finds a gap in the Wetherby defence

WHITBY Rugby Club under 16s travelled to Wetherby for their second match of the season and pulled off a comfortable win.

Early pressure from the young Maroons set up a good break by new player Tyler Mayo. The ball was recycled by the forwards for Luke Brown to burst over from short range and score the first try.

Luke Brown scores a try for Whitby U16s against Wetherby

Luke Brown scores a try for Whitby U16s against Wetherby

Wetherby drove the ball up the field and drew level with neither side having achieved a conversion.

Sustained pressure from Whitby ended with a good run from winger Joe Sykes who was bundled into touch in the corner.

Whitby then stole the line-out, enabling Luke Brown to drive to the line and barge over from short range to score his second try.

Within minutes, Wetherby’s full-back burst through several sloppy tackles to score under the posts, bringing the score level again.

From the restart, the ball was gathered and driven up to Wetherby’s 22 when quick hands from half backs Astin and Mayo allowed centre James Grimont to cut through the defence to score under the posts. The conversion was added.

The first half ended with a weaving run from the impressive new hooker Josh Wilson which just fell short of the tryline.

The second half saw scrum half Astin changed out by understudy John (ched) Jackson.

Whitby were put under sustained pressure and some excellent tackles from JJ Wood, Tom Wood and full back Scott Armstrong kept Wetherby at bay. Another crunching tackle from centre Wood saw Whitby win the loose ball and a powerful run from Armstrong saw him score under the posts with Grimont converting.

A good take followed from second row Harrison with good runs from Brown and winger Alex Waddington. A good catch and drive from Brown at the lineout and quick hands from Jackson allowed Mayo to drive up to Wetherby’s 5m line where Russell picked up and went over for the score.

Whitby were again on the attack with good runs up the blindside from Russell and scrum half Jackson.

A good drive from Wetherby saw Whitby infringe and from the quickly-taken penalty, Wetherby crashed over for a converted try.

A good pick-up and run from Grimont released Waddington to score with a conversion from Tom Wood. A good break and pass from Jackson then allowed Mayo to put in a long kick fumbled on the tryline by Wetherby’s full back and the chasing Armstrong goes over the try.

In the final minute from a quick penalty, good hands from Mayo and JJ Wood saw Armstrong go over for his third try.

Whitby 46 Wetherby 17

Tries: Armstrong 3, Brown 2, Grimont, Russell, Waddington; conversions: Grimont 2, Wood 1.

Man of the match: JJ Wood