Whitby Maroons impress on club’s 60th anniversary

WHITBY pulled off victory over relegated Wallsend in their first home match of the season, to coincide with the club’s 60th anniversary celebrations.

A large crowd - including Trevor Kent-Jones, the president of Yorkshire RFU and a few players from decades ago - turned out for the occasion so Whitby were determined to get off to a good start.

But it did not initially go to plan as a midfield mistake led the away centre to advance and good recycled ball gave the visitors an easy try.

Anth Craig made an excellent cover tackle to prevent another try shortly after.

Whitby had a makeshift backline with a pairing of Nick Beaumont, who was trying to emulate his younger brother’s presence and Pete Stentiford with John Hatton at full back.

As the Whitby forwards finally started to play, they dominated at the breakdown with flankers Andrew Grady and Joe Quinn making some great tackles. Steve Allen released centre Stentiford to score in the corner to level the scores.

A penalty by Allen was shortly converted to put the home side into the lead.

Prop Lonsdale had a great game in the loose sneaked over to from close range after good work from scrum-half Parkin.

Whitby turned it on in the second half as Wallsend tired.

Watson’s run a couple produced the try of the match by Liam Parkin, he also fully deserved the man of the match award.

Maroons soon found themselves back in the Wallsend 22 and scored with a try by winger Guy Taylor after slick hands from the backs.

The last try was Pete Stentiford’s second and Whitby’s fifth, following another good platform by the forwards and a wayward pass and some improvisation but it rounded off a convincing victory.

The Harlequins played on the Showfield too against Darlington Mowden Park 3rds, who came over at short notice after Scarborough cried off the fixture midweek. Mowden Park, who are in the league above, won the game 38-19.

All in all it was a great day of rugby.

Club sponsor – The Hart Inn.

Maroons 30 Wallsend 5