Whitby edge bruising encounter

Whitby Rugby Club U17s on the burst against Pocklington'picture: Ruth Shutt
Whitby Rugby Club U17s on the burst against Pocklington'picture: Ruth Shutt

A LARGE crowd gathered at Feathers Field in Pocklington, looking forward to an exciting game on Sunday - and the two teams did not disappoint .

The long trip seemed to take its toll on Whitby as they soon conceded a penalty which Pocklington converted.

Whitby offload the ball'picture: Ruth Shutt

Whitby offload the ball'picture: Ruth Shutt

Pocklington then scored two unconverted tries in quick succession to take a commanding lead.

But this seemed to inspire Whitby who fought back and for the first time in the match, they spent some time in the Pocklington half.

Eventually, the pressure told and Whitby were awarded a penalty. From the resulting tap and go, Josh Shutt battled over the line for Whitby’s first try, which Brad Coulman converted.

Whitby started to build up the pressure and their forwards were taking charge of the game, especially Ed Welford, Bruce Reed and Dan Rollins, gaining valuable field position.

Soon, a break formed down the left wing and the ball passed through several players hands before reaching Cam Leadley who ran under the posts for Whitby’s second try, converted again by Brad.

With Whitby taking a slender 14-13 lead, an exciting climax to the first half was building with Brad, Connor Clements and Josh Shutt all going close to the line .

The second half commenced with the home team trying to regain the lead and they were awarded a penalty but their kick was just short.

Whitby extended their lead, running in a fine breakaway try which this time was converted by Cam Leadley.

The tension built again as Pocklington scored a converted try, reducing the Whitby lead to the solitary point again.

Now the teams were battling hard for the win and put in some really hard tackles.

Pocklington made a decisive break and it took a try-saving tackle from James Newton to stop them.

But it was Whitby who finally sealed the match when Cam Leadley collected the ball after it was chipped forward by Brad Coulman and ran in Whitby’s fourth try which Brad converted.

This was the most entertaining match of the season so far with the game being on a knife edge for most of the time with many players having the bruises to remind them of this hard encounter.

Man of the match: Connor Clements - made an incredible amount of tackles

Pocklington U17s 20 Whitby U17s 28