Whitby cheesed off after late Wensleydale winner

WHITBY Rugby Club made the long journey to play Wensleydale on a bright Sunday morning.

Having started the game slowly and allowing the opposition way too much possession, a long kick forward by Wensleydale was seized upon by Waddington who made a strong run forward, pulling the Whitby full back out of position as he supported the attack.

A lost ball and a kick back into the Whitby half was gathered by the opposition who scored under the posts.

From the restart, Whitby seemed to gather themselves together and progressive attack led to a try by Luke Brown.

Whitby went on the attack and another good run down the wing by Waddington was ended as he was shoulder-charged into touch. From the line-out the ball came to Astin who went on a diagonal run but a forward pass ended the move.

For the next 15 minutes it was all Wensleydale but sterling defence and good tackling kept the scores level until half-time.

After the restart, Whitby were pinned back and from a scrum on the 22, Wensleydale broke out to score a try in the corner.

Whitby restarted the game and a misguided pass in defence saw Sykes collect the ball and score under the posts for 10-10.

Scores were now coming thick and fast. Wensleydale kicked off and won a line-out 3m from the tryline. Having won the ball, they drove forward to score in the corner.

For the next five minutes Whitby were on the offensive and from a scrum close to the tryline, Whitby won the ball and a move to the blind side saw Mayo score in the corner.

Wensleydale started to exert pressure and won a penalty in the Whitby half. The penalty was taken quickly before Whitby had retired 10m, which gave the opposition a further penalty which was within kicking distance. The kick was converted to put the hosts in front.

Full-time was closing in and a sense of urgency from Whitby saw them charge down the pitch and win a scrum close to the posts.

The ball came out to Mayo whose strong run saw him collide with the posts and be held up but he was able to pass the ball to Woods who scored under the posts, with Grimont converting.

Straight from kick-off, Wensleydale returned the compliment by charging down the pitch to win a line-out close to the tryline. They won the lineout and after several attempts, drove over to score the final, crucial try of the game. The conversion was good.

Wensleydale 25 Whitby 22