SLIDESHOW: Whitby ladies sink leaders

Whitby ladies were faced with tough opposition, when they played Durham Clubs League division one leaders Durham City at home on Saturday.

Whitby ladies started out with some gaps in their formation, allowing Durham to work the ball around Whitby’s team. Whitby knew they needed to keep their formation tight and take every opportunity to have a shot on goal. Emily Webster found herself in great position to receive an early ball of Nicola Kent at the top of the attacking circle, scoring an early leading goal for Whitby - but Durham soon levelled.

Whitby hockey ladies celebrate beating leaders Durham'picture: Brian Murfield

Whitby hockey ladies celebrate beating leaders Durham'picture: Brian Murfield

Both teams were working to their full potential passing the ball accurately and pushing their fitness levels.

Natasha Kent and Sarah Thompson were working in great formation together, feeding the ball down the right wing, finding Kent open to receive some feeding balls onto forwards Lisette Vincent-Jones and Emily Webster.

Lisette was unable to connect with the ball and missed a perfect opportunity for Whitby to score their second goal. Fighting back from this, Jo Braithwaite found Nicola Kent again in great space to receive the ball in Whitby’s attacking circle and scored the second goal for Whitby.

Whitby’s defence were working in a strong unit - Michelle Myers, Jaqueline Livera and Jess Hogarth were making it hard for Durham City to keep the ball in Whitby’s defence.

Michelle Myers was making some excellent tackles, sending the ball on to right winger Mille Storr.

Durham found a gap in Whitby’s defence and after many rebound shots saved by Whitby keeper Kirsty Dixon, the visitors managed to score their second goal, the score now being 2-2.

Kirsty continued to have an exceptional game, saving some powerful and accurate shots.

Jo Braithwaite picked up great ball fed from midfielder Zara Noble, she found Nicola Kent open at the top of Whitby’s attacking circle who took a shot on goal.

Lisette Vincent-Jones was open and waiting on the left post to get the rebound shot; making the score 3-2.

Despite having broken fingers, midfielder Beth Sanderson came on and managed to give Durham a hard time to work the ball down the centre of the pitch.

Beth and Jacqueline Livera worked in great partnership to get rid of any balls entering Whitby’s defensive circle. Durham were awarded a penalty flick for a lifted ball, from this they were able to score their third goal, making the score a very nervous 3-3 with only 10 minutes left to play.

Beth Sanderson skilfully worked the ball down the centre of the pitch, finding Siobhan Robinson in excellent position to score the winning goal for Whitby Ladies.

Coach Karen Sanderson was pleased with everyone’s performance.

Player of the match was awarded to Bethany Sanderson.