Hatton helps Maroons stay in promotion race at Newton

Whitby RUFC and Newton Aycliffe in action
Whitby RUFC and Newton Aycliffe in action

Whitby Maroons travelled to Newton Aycliffe on Saturday in the hopes that another win would mount pressure on second-placed Whitely Bay Rockcliff in the promotion race.

The visitors started brightly with a dominant front row of Nathan Kaz, Richard Hare and Bruce Reed pressurising the hosts and providing Whitby with front-foot ball.

Eventually Whitby forced their way forward and fly-half Sam Webster crashed over for a converted try to give the away side a 7-0 advantage.

Whitby continued strongly with an almost identical move leading to John Hatton scoring in the same corner for a 12-0 cushion.

Whitby’s first-half blitz continued with Connor Clements crossing the line to make score 19-0 and put the travelling Maroons in command.

Newton Aycliffe grew into the game, putting Whitby under pressure for the first time, however the Maroons broke and Hatton scored in the corner to make the score 26-0 at half-time.

Whitby turned around at half-time and the introduction of Justin Mayne and Oliver Telfer had an almost instant impact.

Mayne collected the kick-off and broke upfield before feeding Luke Brown to make the score 31-0.

The match then descended into farce as the referee lost control and seemed to be awarding penalties at random moments.

Several Whitby players regrettably lost their cool and were punished for their outbursts and the away side were down to 12 men for 10 minutes.

Newton Aycliffe took advantage of this and scored to make the score 31-5.

Whitby showed great mental strength and managed to come back with stand-in captain David Bland crossing to make the score 38-5.

Jack Braithwaite finished the scoring to cap a fantastic game for the rampaging number eight and make the final score 43-5 to the rampant Maroons, who have three games left this season.

The man of the match was Braithwaite.

Whitby Harlequins fared worse losing out 12-43 against Hartlepool BBOB 1st XV with Euan Camm scoring and Sam Porter standing out again.