Clock foils Whitby’s comeback efforts

Luke Brown scores Whitby U15s' opening try v Acklam
Luke Brown scores Whitby U15s' opening try v Acklam

AFTER weeks of cancellations and postponed matches due to the recent extreme weather, Whitby Rugby Club U16’s were raring to go and arrived at Acklam with high spirits.

The weather kept at bay and the game kicked off with only a slight breeze and damp pitch.

Whitby U15s' put in a tackle v Acklam

Whitby U15s' put in a tackle v Acklam

The first 15 minutes saw each team testing each other to no result.

However, a quick break up the field was snatched upon by Whitby.

Strong rucking and grinding up field saw the Maroons edge closer to the opposition tryline.

Only inches away, the Acklam defensive line crumbled under the immense pressure of the forwards and the ball was carried over the line by Brown for the first try of the match for 0-5.

The startled Acklam squad picked up their game noticeably and Whitby soon found themselves camped in their own 22.

Ferocious tackling from T Wood, Samples and K Woods prevented the scoreline from being altered before the whistle for half-time.

The second half started with a bang. A debatable offside decision saw Maroons unable to capitalise on a superb kick by Coulman and the game became increasingly heated.

This climaxed with the yellow carding of Radford which reduced Maroons to 14 men. Although sterling efforts from Kaye prevented Acklam from scoring initially, the lack of numbers saw the Whitby defence fail under relentless pressure to conceded a try.

From kick-off, Whitby appeared threatening but a fumbled ball gave Acklam back the possession and a single marathon run down the wing coupled with poor tackling allowed a quick second try which extended the lead to 12-5.

With only a converted try required to level the score Whitby set out with renewed vigour.

Brilliant passing and rucking saw Maroons marching up the field fast. JJ Woods scooped up the ball and ploughed his way over the line. Despite best efforts from kicker Coulman, his kick fell just short of the posts.

With only seconds left after the kick Whitby were unable to increase their points and the final whistle went.

Whitby tries: Brown, JJ Wood

Acklam U15s 12 Whitby U15s 10