Aaron sparkles as Maroons sink Sedgefield

Maroons push on versus Sedgefield
Maroons push on versus Sedgefield

Whitby collected a 27-18 win against a Sedgefield side,who look to have all but cemented their place in Durham Northumberland Two after promotion last time around.

The Maroons were without James Newton and Oliver Telfer but welcomed Dave Bland back into the starting line-up, with veteran Steve Allen stepping in on the bench.

The game began with both teams trying to gain the early advantage, by showing full commitment to a good contest.

The set-piece was again going well for Whitby, with dominance at the scrum area.

However, the first points of the afternoon went to the visitors after a neatly struck penalty by their fly-half.

The hosts soon regathered and after a neat move from a turnover scrum, the ball was passed through the hands of the Whitby back-line, which led to young Jannie Jacobs going over in the corner.

The Durham side soon went back in front after more indiscipline in midfield accumulated in another neatly struck penalty.

The visitors were then on the front foot and scored their first try of the match with the last play of the half, when they went under the posts from close range.

With this effort converted this made the score at the break 13-5 to Sedgefield.

Coach Matt Webster led a positive team-talk putting emphasis on cutting out silly mistakes but to keep up the effort levels that were on show.

With these words ringing in the ears of the Whitby players, they soon started to turn up the pressure on their opponents, this was highlighted by a mazy run down the wing by prop Bruce Reed.

After a period of good pressure, powerful prop Mitch Cannon powered over for a good try, with the conversion added this made the deficit only a single point.

Captain Gordon Bland was next to go over, again finishing off a good move by the Whitby back-line.

Sam Webster, Aaron Jones and Jacobs worked tirelessly in both attack and defence and were backed up well from wingers Guy Taylor and John Hatton.

Sedgefield were not beaten at this point and got themselves back into the game after a five-point score following 10 minutes of pressure which witnessed them camped on the Whitby try-line.

The Whitby pack started to show their fitness levels with some hard work on show from Dave Bland, Richard Hare, George Reeves, Anthoney Craig and the busy Jack Braithwaite.

Gaps started to appear in the Sedgefield defence which allowed the impressive lock Luke Brown, dispensing of several members of their defence, and crashing over the line to give his team a four- point advantage with 10 minutes left on the clock.

The game was made safe shortly afterwards when the hard-working Aaron Jones went over to cap a fine afternoon when finishing off more good rugby from the hosts to seal a 27-18 win.

Manager Matt Jones said: “Another bonus point win for this group who have really kicked on this season, three games left and we are aiming for maximum return.

“Credit also to our visitors, who have travelled down and played some good rugby and gave us a great game.”

Man of the Match: Aaron Jones - Never stopped working hard all afternoon, polished off with a good try.

The second team, under the guidance of Rob Reed and Chris Gibson, also ran out winners in a close encounter against their Sedgefield counterparts, with Dave Mahaffy collecting the man of the match award.