100 per cent Maroons keep marching on

Man of the match Tim Richardson puts the ball in at the scrum
Man of the match Tim Richardson puts the ball in at the scrum

Whitby Maroons played hosts to an abrasive Chester le Street side that lay in fourth place in the table.

Chester had an excellent pack and whilebeing limited in attack, they fronted up in defence and made nothing easy for the home side.

In the first 20 minutes, the home pack never really got going and not enough players were willing to do the ‘hard yards’.

For their part, the visitors never looked like breaking down the Maroons’ defence with Connor Clements and Sam Webster being destructive in the tackle.

Both teams cancelled each other out and the only score in a first 40 minutes to forget was a penalty for Ollie Roberts, with Maroons 3-0 up at the break.

After some stern words at half-time, Maroons took the game by the scruff of the neck and with substitute Rich Harrison galvanising the pack,things gradually improved.

Chester tired and as Whitby looked to spin the ball wide, their superior fitness started to tell and it was Sam Webster who broke the deadlock as he charged onto a short ball for the first try.

Jack Pearson was next on the scoresheet as Whitby used the width of the field to create a three-man overlap.

A superb catch and drive from a rare straight throw by the home side provided try number three as Harrison used all his experience to steer the Maroons pack over.

The bonus point was secured when Luke Brown charged over past three would-be tacklers with Chester now a spent force.

A poor first half by Whitby but at least a better second forty which proved the importance of fitness.

In a quiet day for the forwards, Shane Young worked tirelessly to improve things, in the backs Sam Webster and Jack Pearson were a good combination.

Maroons have a week off now until the hardest game of the season, away at second placed Houghton.

Man of the Match: Tim Richardson – slick service rolled back the years.

Saturday’s win kept the Maroons at the top of the league, Houghton who are emerging as strong contenders and who incidentally Whitby play next in two weeks time moved up to second with an emphatic 36 to 14 away win at Washington.

Whitby RUFC president Harvey Richardson is hosting an international dinner at the club on Saturday at 4pm, with the England v Samoa game on the big screen afterwards.

Anyone wishing to attend can call the club on (01947) 602008 for details.