In-form Harrison does it again

WHITBY Cricket Club 1sts experienced mixed fortune over bank holiday weekend as they carried on their good form on the Saturday with a comfortable win over Richmondshire - but were frustrated by the weather at Yarm on Monday.

After winning the toss on a blustery day at the Turnbull, Whitby skipper Paul Buck had no hesitation in asking the visitors to bat first.

The home side got off to a great start, with Tom Steyert dismissing Mather and Wood with a pair of fine deliveries.

This was then followed by a determined stand between the two experienced heads of Fleming and O’Kelly. The pair were forced to work hard for their runs but stood firm in the face of some tight bowling and fielding from the hosts.

The partnership was finally ended when veteran Chris Lyth, playing in his final game of the season, bowled the skipper Fleming for 30.

Wickets then continued to fall with regularity as all the Whitby bowlers piled on the pressure and gave nothing away.

Whitby were finally able to dislodge the opening batsmen, David O’Kelly, for a determined 32 including just the two boundaries courtesy of a full toss delivered by Mark Jackson.

This left the score on 90-8 going into the final 10 overs with Whitby looking on top.

But a series of dropped catches and misfields allowed the ninth wicket partnership to flourish and Richmondshire reached a competitive total of 146-9 in their 50 overs, with Andy Dade finishing 32 not out.

All of Whitby’s bowlers performed well, with Steyert and Jackson the pick, finishing with three wickets apiece.

Whitby went into their innings knowing that if they played sensibly and did the basics that they should have no problems in reaching their victory target.

But they were dealt an early blow when James Fawcett was forced to retire hurt for just five after he was struck on the arm by a short ball from opening bowler Sam Wood. His replacement, James Hall, didn’t last much longer as he was out caught and bowled for five.

But Paul Harrison, coming off the back of 87, was looking in fine form once again, as he dealt with the Richmondshire bowlers with no trouble whatsoever. He and Ron Lyth were left to build a partnership and get the run chase back on track. The pair didn’t disappoint, with Harrison in particular treating the visitors’ attack with distain.

Lyth eventually fell for 24 with another 42 runs required for victory, with plenty of overs left to play with. Kai Morris was the next man in, and he wasted in no time in trying to wipe off the required runs as he struck a quickfire 18 before being dismissed by Stockton.

It was then left to Tom Steyert and Harrison to finish the game off with the latter eventually finishing with a brilliant 74 not out and Steyert with nine not out. Whitby had completed another professional performance as they reached the required total in the 35th over for the loss of just four wickets, with Harrison once again leading the way.

Whitby were unable to carry on their winning momentum as their second match of the weekend fell victim to the weather as they travelled to Yarm.