Horror show as Blues crash out of FA Cup

WHITBY Town crashed out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle after a horror show at the Turnbull Ground on Saturday.

Unibond League rivals Frickley Athletic took spectacular revenge for their midweek league defeat on the same ground, going 4-0 up before conceding two second half consolation goals.

The day started badly for the Blues with last Wednesday's two-goal hero Tom Raw ruled out with a recurrence of his hamstring problem.

Manager Lee Nogan brought back centre-half Aron Wilford, but played the former forward alongside Danny Brunskill, despite Wilford only playing the role twice since making the defence his home last December.

However, it was the visiting forwards who were the busier in a frantic opening. On three minutes, Frickley skipper Steve Kennedy headed wide from point blank range following a corner from the right.

Two minutes later, the Blues defence slept as Remo Nesa beat the flimsy offside trap, but opted to volley Rob Pell's ball when one-on-one with Campbell six yards out, but the attempt flew over the Whitby crossbar.

Nesa was in again in the seventh minute, but this time struck the post with Campbell beaten, the rebound fell kindly and Nesa pulled back for Mark Ward to rifle goalwards but Nick Scaife and Campbell blocked on their own goal-line.

At the other end, Wilford's 18-yard shot on the turn was gathered comfortably by Frickley keeper Gary Ingham, while Brunskill's identical effort was also collected without any alarm by Ingham four minutes later.

Ant Ormerod curled a neat effort over the Athletic bar before Frickley deservedly grabbed the lead 10 minutes before the half-time interval.

Nesa again found himself one-on-one with Campbell after Whitby failed to step up in time, but this time there were to be no let-offs for the Blues as the former Preston man slotted neatly into the bottom right corner of the net.

At the other end, Scaife's right wing cross was headed over the top from a good position by Ormerod.

It was then Brunskill's turn to head off target, nodding wide from Phil Brumwell's left wing cross.

Two minutes before the break, Frickley almost doubled their advantage, when a free-kick fell to Alex Callery, but the highly-rated winger drove wide after shaving the outside of Campbell's left-hand post.

Nogan introduced the returning Neil Wilkinson for Tom Reid in a straight swap on the right side of the Whitby defence early in the second half, but it was to little avail as Frickley quickly increased their lead.

It was Nesa again, with Neil Ashley picking out the troublesome midfielder who cut in from the left and drilled a fine effort across Campbell, picking the same part of the net but this time from the edge of the box.

Nogan threw on Craig Hughes and Graham Robinson moments later, with Wilford and Scaife making way – the newcomers slotting into midfield as Ormerod moved upfield.

But it was still one-way traffic as only Campbell and his last defender prevented Kennedy from slotting home a third on the half-volley from Callery's corner.

Whitby captain Matty Appleby hammered over the top from 22 yards before Frickley effectively ended the contest on 76 minutes.

Rob Pell tried his luck from 20 yards and the ball struck Appleby and looped up over the stranded Campbell before dropping into the empty net for 3-0.

A minute later, Nesa collected from Ward and ran from deep, beating another atrocious attempted offside from Town and Appleby's mis-timed slide tackle, before coolly despatching the ball past Campbell from close range for 4-0.

Finally, with the game utterly lost in the final 10 minutes, referee Mr Smith gave Whitby a break and pointed to the spot after Robinson was held by Adam Pollock in the box.

Brunskill stepped up to slot into the bottom left corner past Ingham for his eighth of the season and his fifth from the 12-yard mark.

Ant Ormerod was allowed to ghost in unmarked to head home Dave McTiernan's right wing cross from close range.

A flattering scoreline for Whitby nearly became game on again when Brunskill glanced a header inches wide at the far post after good work from Ormerod down the left during injury time.

However the referee, who missed several shirt pulls on Wilford and Brunskill, brought the match to a halt seconds later, putting Town out of their misery as there was only ever going to be one winner.

Whitby: Campbell, Reid (Wilkinson 47), Brumwell, Appleby, Farthing, Claisse, McTiernan, Scaife (Robinson 51), Wilford (Hughes 51), Brunskill, Ormerod.

Subs not used: Parkin, Norton.

Attendance: 293

Co-op Superstore Whitby man of the match: Nick Scaife