Young Fishermen’s take instant cup final revenge


A young Whitby football team agonisingly denied the league title in a decider against the eventual winners, took revenge in style.

Whitby Fishermen’s Society’s under nines came within a whisker of winning the league in their maiden campaign, but were pipped at the post by Scalby, who beat them on the final day.

So revenge tasted sweet when Fishermen’s returned the favour, beating Scalby 2-0 in Sunday’s league cup final .

Jos Storr gave the Whitby side the lead early in the second half of a tight contest when Seamer failed to deal with a corner.

The advantage clearly lifted Fishermen’s confidence and they began to create more chances.

Seamer pressed hard for a leveller but fell victim to a fine counter-attack. Although a defender appeared to have broken up the move, the ball fell to David Willison to slot home, leaving the two sides on a trophy apiece for the season.

Delighted Fishermen’s coach Phil Stabler was delighted with the cup win in his side’s first season together.

“The lads were so disappointed with losing the league on the last day of the season after sitting at the top of the table all year,” he told the Whitby Gazette.

“This has gone some way to making up for that and is nothing less than the lads deserved.”

It was a great weekend for another Whitby side, as Fishhburn Park’s under 16s beat Flamborough 3-1 in the League Cup final to score a double.

Flamborough seized the initiative and scored early in the first half, almost doubling their lead on the break when a chipped effort over the keeper bounced off the crossbar.

Fishburn pulled level from a corner early in the second half with Sam Fussey heading in at the near post.

With Flamborough looking a little edgy, it was inevitable the Whitby side would soon score again, which they did in similar fashion to the first, through Nath Smurthwaite.

Another Fishburn header was cleared off the line, but the killer third goal finally arrived when Liam Calvert robbed the full back of the ball wide on the right and advanced into the area to slot confidently past the keeper from a narrow angle.

Fishburn Park’s under 14s also reached the final of the Schneider Electric Cup, but were defeated 1-0 by Cayton on Sunday, with the Scarborough side surviving some late Park pressure.