Wind assisted goals Sea-mer bit harsh


FYLINGDALES FC went into their quarter-final clash with Seamer after a winter break with their six-match winning run seeming like a distant memory.

Seamer set their stall out as the team that wanted to win all the battles even before the game, forcing the home side into changing into their old second strip. With the two so closely matched, competitive teams mind games were always going to play a part.



Seamer started with five in midfield and dominated the opening 15 minutes. After four minutes, the Scarborians forced a corner which was curled directly into the top corner of the net thanks to the swirling wind.

Continued pressure led to a replica goal of the first but this time Seamer managed to squeeze a corner low directly into the near post.

Two nil down after 15 minutes and FFC realised a change of tactics was needed. The ever-energised Dan Shackleton was brought from attack to support the midfield and this paid off as FFC came back into the game.

A cross from the right met the head of the Jake Faichney and his attempt led to a goal-line scramble edged over the line by Jamie Agar. Paddy Chandler was then put through for a one-on-one saved which the keeper saved well, as the lifted ‘Dales side began to punch their weight.

But it was Seamer next on the scoresheet when an attack down the left led to a low cross landing at the feet of their unmarked striker to make the score 3-1.

FFC knew at half-time they could give more and would be supported by the wind and the large crowd that had now gathered to take in the epic encounter.

Dales bult on some of the positives and created much and spurned more in the second half. Chandler opened the second half scoring when Faichney knocked a corner to him on the edge of the penalty area, where he brought it down on his chest and launched a rocket-like volley into the top left corner.

Minutes later hot shot Faichney’s mazy run left him on the edge of the area where he fired in a spectacular low goal.

Back to 3-3 the team were on a high but it lasted only two minutes when Seamer’s corner taker supreme curled a stunning shot around the wall and past helpless keeper Neil Brearley.

Dales struggled to take complete control again after this setback in a final 20 minutes with chances for both sides.

Stephen Stones challenged the laws of science by lifting the ball over the bar from the goal-line.

But this was always going to be Seamer’s day and they had the last laugh when a corner late on was met by an unmarked head for 5-3.

Even the late addition of Mark Brennan, who handled his opportunity with style, was not enough to turn over the strong Scarborough side.

If FFC are serious about challenging for the league they have a lot of work to do based on this performance.

This Sunday, Dales are in another cup match, against Trafalgar - beaten for the frist time in five years last week - from division one.

Man of the match: Dan Shackleton

Match ball sponsor: Rob Hopper Drylining.