Whitby Wanderers continue resurgence

Share this article

WHITBY Wanderers took their first trip to Oliver’s Mount, looking to continue their recent good form from the previous game in which they knocked first division Ayton out of the Kenward Cup.

With the hosts in good scoring form themselves, Wanderers opted to pack five across midfield and play with a lone striker on the break.

The home side made the better start and crafted the first chance when a through ball from midfield was smothered by stand-in Wanderers keeper Mark Jackson at the feet of the onrushing forward.

The visitors then dominated possession and made a couple of decent chances.

It was not long before a long throw from Andrew Marshall caught the home sides defence napping, allowing Ben Hogarth through on goal and neatly slotted his finish beyond the somewhat shaky Tavern keeper on 10 minutes.

This seemed to cause a resurgence in the home side, though relying more upon the physical side of the game than the technical, they drew level on 15 minutes when a deflected shot from the edge of the Wanderers box nestled into the corner of the net.

With the game level, Wanderers’ Mikey Kilpatrick was pushed into a more advanced role and caused havoc in the hosts’ defence with his tricky running and following one such run and shot there followed a goalmouth scramble and the ball fell to Kilpatrick to stroke the ball home from two yards.

Five minutes before the break, a run and cross from the right by Danny Wilson fell to Wanderers skipper Danny Brown, who struck a clean shot into the net from just inside the penalty area, making it 3-1 at the break.

The second half started in much the same vein as the first, with Wanderers shooting up hill. Just five minutes from the restart, Ian Rhucroft struck a shot from 40 yards which caught the home keeper out and dipped ferociously into the net just beneath the crossbar.

This took the wind out of the home side’s sails and though they created some chances they were unable to penetrate the Wanderers’ defence, with centre back pairing James Hall and Steve Hunter wining headers all day and seemed to be able to dispossess the home forwards with consummate ease.

With 20 minutes to go, Wanderers introduced Steve Mothersdale and Paul Waring to freshen up the midfield and later still, Danny Magill, and though creating yet more chances and dominating possession, Wanderers were content with a solid 4-1 victory.

Wanderers: M Jackson, J Inglis, J Leadley, J Hall, S Hunter, D Brown, D Wilson, I Rhucroft, A Marshall, M Kilpatrick, B Hogarth. Subs: P Waring, S Mothersdale, Dy Magill, P Owen

Man of the match: Steve Hunter; main Sponsor: The Met Bar, Whitby; match ball sponsor: Dunsley Hall

Castle Tavern 1 Whitby Wanderers 4