Whitby RFC move into second place ahead of cup semi

Share this article

WHITBY RFC moved into second place in division three of the Scarborough and District League with a convincing win against struggling Ayton.

Played on a tricky and uneven surface, Whitby started much the better and led when Adam Steele rose above the home defence to head home from Jones corner on 10 minutes.

The lead was doubled within a minute when player boss Mark Jones thumped home from 12 yards after an initial effort was blocked and the Ayton keeper could only parry into the net.

The promotion chasers looked well set for the points with only 13 minutes on the clock.

This seemed to spark the Ayton linesman into life as he gave a host of offsides, with the referee in the end choosing to ignore the flag from the home side for much of the game and spark various protests from the away side who had suffered similar the week before with Seamer.

Ayton did come into the game but with danger man Willan proving ineffective they have very little in the way of chances as the Whitby defence mopped up anything that came their way and cruised into the lead at the break.

The second half followed a similar pattern with the tricky surface making it difficult for both sets of players to get the ball down and play to feet.

But RFC effectively wrapped up the points on 52 minutes when Damon Craig bagged a goal when the home side made an awful mess of clearing his effort and it looped into the empty net for 3-0.

Goals number four and five arrived within minutes of each other when first captain Ian Rhucroft burst through the home midfield and outran the home defence to neatly lift over the keeper and wrap up a fine indivual goal.

Then, Ben Hogarth was put in down the right and he weaved through and lashed home clinically to make it 5-0.

Danny Bywater did grab scant consolation for Ayton when his shot looped off Headlam’s shoulder and left Fish helpless in the Whitby RFC goal.

Substitute Lee Brennan saw his attempted lob from 25 yards superbly tipped over the bar by the Ayton keeper as the game ended 5-1.

Heslerton’s draw with Riskers means the Whitby side now have three games in hand on the leaders and trail by six points going into the weekend’s local derby in the Frank White Trophy semi-final against Whitby Fishermen’s Society.

Whitby RFC: D Fish, B Hogarth, C Headlam, A Steele, S Taylor, M Kilpatrick, M Jones, S Hancock, I Rhucroft, D Craig (L Brennan), B Watson (M Brennan)

Man of the match: Mike Kilpatrick - left his mark with another fine display.

Whitby Reserves 1 Whitby RFC 5