Whitby RFC cruise into second semi-final

Whitby Rugby Club made it into the last four of the Frank White Trophy on Saturday, to earn their second semi-final place of the season.

On a sticky Oliver’s Mount pitch, RFC were down to the bare bones without regulars Harry Smith, Sam Gale, Ben Hogarth, Paul Jobling and Marc Usher. With reserve keeper Carl Oliver unavailable, RFC played outfield player James Inglis in goal, although Steven Ross, Stu Horton and David Swales all returned.

Playing against the wind and up the slope in the first half Dave Welham’s defence splitting pass released Mikey Kilpatrick who held his man off, raced into the area and drilled past the keeper to open the scoring after five minutes.

Soon after, it was two as Damon Craig finished off a good move involving Richardson, Swales brothers and Steven Ross firing into the keeper’s bottom right corner.

Westover were awarded a free-kick on the edge area, the ball was sent over the wall to the back post where unmarked centre half Donaldson side-footed across Inglis into corner of the net to bring Wasps back into the tie.

The Scarborough side grew in confidence and were using the channels with their pacey wingers. They should have levelled when an unmarked striker eight yards out headed wide when well placed.

Club should have restored their two-goal advantage when a Kilpatrick cross was met by Steven Ross six yards out. He sidefooted towards the roof of the net which deflected off a defender’s leg onto the bar and out which was bizarrely awarded as a goal-kick.

A Kilpatrick cross was headed narrowly wide by Damon Craig in the dying seconds before the interval.

Club were encouraged to take the game by the scruff of the neck going down the slope and dominating possession.

A cross from a Craig free-kick was met by Crabtree who headed across goal and inches wide, but they had to wait until the 65th minute to find that two-goal cushion.

Craig doubled his tally, finishing well when put through on goal and smashing into goal just inside the box. Two minutes later the game was sealed. Dave Swales, Chad Swales and Richardson worked the ball forward for Ross who was gifted a run on goal by a slip from a defender.

He steadied himself and finishing over the advancing keeper, then Craig completed his hat-trick after lobbing the keeper from 20 yards out.

Boss Ste mothersdale said: “We had key players missing and were down to the bones, but we have 16 lads who could all be in the line-up.

“You have to find the right mix that can handle being part of a big strong squad with a great team spirit with great attitude.

“I don’t want pick anybody out the team today for man of match - I’d like give it to them all for character and determination.

“It wasn’t easy today - they were on great run and had beaten some well-fancied teams in recent weeks.

“Well done to skipper Damon Craig and special thanks to James Inglis for taking the gloves.”

Westover Wasps Res 1 Whitby RFC 5