Whitby RFC cruise into next round

Whitby RFC progressed into the next round of the Harbour Cup on Saturday with a super performance.

RFC dominated from the off and played some excellent football. Sam Richardson opened the scoring when Damon Craig chased a ball down in the box which the Snainton keeper could only push out to the edge of the box to Sam Richardson who drilled it back into the goal.

Club had numerous chances to extend their lead, hitting the woodwork on several occasions and finding Snainton keeper Gareth Barnard in good form.

But two quick strikes from Ryan Collins meant Rugby Club trailed at the break, although boss Ste Mothersdale said his side had “played so well and should have been out of sight.”

“The passing and power in possesion was enjoyable to watch but I told them to keep going like they were in the first half and it will turn round – but don’t switch off,” he added.

Rugby Club only had to wait a minute after the restart as Benn Sullivan was brought down racing into the box and a penalty was awarded. David Welham made no mistake again, following on from last week to draw the sides level.

Five minutes later, it was Club in front as Jobling’s cross was turned in by strike partner Damon Craig.

Craig returned the favour, setting Jobling up who turned in from close range.

The fifth goal of the game came from David Welham.

Just about on the halfway line, he sent a lob straight over the keeper and into top of the goal for a screamer.

Mikey Kilpatrick rounded off the scoring with the next three goals and an eight minute hat-trick.

The first was a superb counter-attack and a superb assist from Jobling, setting Kilpatrick up with a low drive from the rightinto the left corner.

His second was a carbon copy of his earlier finish and he rounded his treble with a header.

Mothersdale added: “This was a richly deserved win. I was delighted with our play and team effort.

“I could praise every player today but Benn Sullivan was our man of the match with Kilpatrick hat-trick deserving a mention as well as Welham’s thunderbolt and Jobling linking play up well.

“We look forward to the next round.”

Whitby RFC 8 Snainton 2