Trafalgar and Newlands set up Sunday FA Cup final clash

Sunday League football
Sunday League football

Sunday League Division One title rivals Newlands and Trafalgar defeated second division opponents to set up a Scarborough FA Sunday Cup final clash between the big two.

Newlands secured a 3-0 home semi-final win against second division promotion-chasers FILO thanks to a brace from player-boss Ben Luntley.

The latter opened the scoring on 25 minutes, slotting home after Jack Hakings' 20-yard shot had hit the post and rebounded out to Stew Bates, who in turn squared the ball to Luntley, who applied the finishing touch.

Five minutes later Jacob Codling was fouled in the penalty area, allowing Luntley to fire in the resulting spot-kick.

A string of fine saves from FILO keeper Kieran Noble kept the visitors in the game, but Newlands finally killed off the tie 10 minutes from time when Liam Cooper drilled a low 18-yard shot into the bottom corner of the net, beyond the grasp of Noble.

Left-back Luke Tinker was named as Newlands man of the match with Noble the star man for Les Brown's visitors.

Trafalgar player-manager Liam Salt also led by example as his side soared to a 6-0 win at Division Two title-chasers Ayton.

Former Pickering Town striker Salt opened the scoring for the away side after only 30 seconds, and further goals from Luke Jenkinson and Neil Thomas before the interval secured the win for Traf.

Salt, sub Gary Thomas and Dean Craig also netted after the interval against a determined Ayton side who never stopped battling.

Right-back Gary Jordan was named as Traf's star man while striker Rob Ward was named Ayton man of the match by their player-boss Mark Plumpton, who praised his side's work ethic.

West Pier tightened their grip on third place in Division One of the Sunday League with a 6-3 home win against fourth-placed Fylingdales.

A great finish from Joe Tiffany put Pier in front and Rob Speight's neat finish doubled the lead for Paddy Parke's side, only for striker Jake Faichney to halve the deficit before the interval.

Martin Cooper restored Pier's two-goal lead early in the second half, but Faichney's second kept the villagers in the match.

Cameron Dobson made it 4-2 then Harry Purves pulled it back to 4-3, but a cracking 25-yard striker from Cooper into the top corner made sure for the hosts, the latter then deceiving the Dales keeper with a shot to complete his hat-trick.

Parke was quick to praise young winger Jordan Shaw, as well as midfield duo Sam Garnett and Cooper, while John Cuffling singled out Faichney and centre-back Callum Ogden as his side's star men in a well-contested clash.

Trafalgar Reserves claimed top spot in Division Two after their 6-2 home win against Newlands Reserves.

Tom Scales banged in four goals for the hosts, with player-manager Mikey Barker also on target and an own goal completing their tally.

Eric Hall scored twice for Liam Mintoft's side, pulling the score back to 2-2 in the second half, his first a tidy finish and the second a strong shot after a goalmouth scramble - bringing his tally to 12 goals in four games since joining Newlands Reserves.

Central midfielder Alistair Jennings was the Traf man of the match, while Ryan Link and Nathan Barber, also in the centre of midfield, shared the star man award for Newlands.

Cayton's hopes of pushing for promotion were dented by their 4-3 loss at Fylingdales Reserves, the hosts battling back from 3-1 behind.

An early own goal from 17-year-old Taylor Humble put Cayton in front, but Tom Shrimpton levelled for Dales, firing past the Cayton keeper at the near post after beating two defenders in a strong run.

Sam Russell then spurned a great chance to put the hosts in front, and Cayton made them pay by adding two goals to be 3-1 up at the interval.

Fylingdales took charge after the break, playing with the strong wind at their backs, Ben Thompson, 18, pulling it back to 3-2 and Humble then struck to bring the scores all-square.

An 18-yard strike from Andrew Marshall secured the points for the hosts, with 16-year-old centre-half James Jackson their man of the match.

Scarborough Campus earned a 6-2 win at a Barrowcliff Reserves side reduced to 10 men for 80 minutes.

The hosts had Shaun Wood sent off early on when he appeared to stamp on the head of a Uni player, the visitors taking fulladvantage of having an extra man to charge into a 5-0 half-time lead.

Barrowcliff's Joe Sunter and man of the match Craig Spooner notched for the hosts after the interval, but there was no chance of a recovery for the 10 men.

Shaun Evans banged in a hat-trick for the students, with Sam Hanmer's brace and an own goal completing the away's side's tally.

Midfielders Michael Stables and George Thompson were the visitors' star men, while left-back Steven Frederiksen set up three goals for the uni side.

Roscoes Bar secured a 6-0 home win against Crown Tavern thanks to a hat-trick apiece from Lee Sutton and Jamie Wray.

The latter scored the first two goals for Bar in the opening period, Sutton making it 3-0 at the interval after following up a shot at the back post.

Tavern had several chances to get into the game during the first period but some fine saves from home keeper David Tonks maintained his side's control of the game.

Sutton made it 4-0 in the second half, slotting his shot into the bottom corner after robbing a defender of possession, and he completed his hat-trick with a finish after a goalmouth scramble, Wray also wrapping up his treble after beating the Tavern keeper in a one-on-one situation.

Sutton and Wray shared the Bar man of the match award, with Tonks also impressing and Leeroy Donaldson the star man for Tavern.