Torture as Park U12s miss out on final again

FOR the second consecutive weekend, Fishburn Park under 12s competed in a cup semi-final - and again they suffered the torture of missing out on the final.

They couldn’t have got off to a better start and showed some great determination, ensuring they won possession of the ball and put the opposition under a lot of pressure.

A breakthrough came after eight minutes when a ball was played forward to Callum Halley.

He made a run into the box and played a great ball into the middle for Jack Kipling to run onto.

Although the first shot was saved, he got the ball across the line to put Fishburn into the lead.

This fired the boys up and they continued to press forward in search of a second goal.

This came four minutes later with Jack Kelly playing a great ball over the top to Kipling.

A defensive mistake allowed Jack Gale through whose lay-off allowed Jamie Entwistle to pick up the ball and finish off with a great shot.

Fishburn continued to play some good football although with 15 minutes gone, the game seemed to take a turn.

The visiting team should have been awarded a free-kick, although the referee wrongly allowed the home team advantage and Ayton were able to take the ball on and score.

This seemed to affect Fishburn who again found themselves on the back foot when a long ball was played over the top of both defenders, leaving the Ayton striker one-on-one with Purvis in goal left with no chance.

With the score level at the interval, there was still everything to play for although the second half did not start as well for Fishburn.

Some bad refereeing decisions and some loss of concentration from the boys allowed Ayton to capitalise and they were soon 4-2 ahead.

Fishburn were able to pull a goal back when Entwistle played a lovely ball through to Halley who rounded a defender and the keeper before slotting the ball home.

Just when it looked like Fishburn would get back into the game another long ball over the top of the defence allowed Ayton to score another, making it 5-3.

The visitors struggled to get back into the game after this and could have conceded again had it not been for a brilliant goal-line clearance from Ryan Ackers.

Man of the match: Kieran Purvis - made a number of brilliant saves throughout the game.

Ayton Athletic U12s 5 Fishburn Park U12s 3