TEESSIDE & BECKETT LEAGUE: Park frustrated by Billingham as Staithes superb run rumbles on

Fishburn Park were held to a frustrating 3-3 draw by Teesside League strugglers Billingham Town Reserves.

Thursday, 2nd March 2017, 2:08 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:07 am
Fishburn Park do battle with Billingham Town Reserves. Pictures by Brian Murfield.

Park fell behind after 15 minutes, but the lively James Organ-Simpson levelled matters up with a well-placed glancing header past the away keeper.

Neither side could edge ahead before the break, but the hosts soon took the lead when striker Dan Brown was brought down in the box and Alex McGovern confidently swept home the penalty.

The hosts couldn’t hold on to their lead for long though, and a long-ball sent a Billingham striker clear to unselfishly square back to a teammate to tap in for 2-2.

Park thought they’d sealed the win with just two minutes left on the clock when Mikey Kilpatrick raced clear and showed great composure to lob the Billingham keeper to send his side 3-2 up.

The visitors went forward in search of a last-gasp equaliser and were rewarded for their efforts when Park failed to clear their lines and a Billingham player squeezed the ball in at the near post.

Coach Steve Mothersdale said: “When you take the lead in the 88th minute and then concede so late it’s very fustrating and feels like a defeat.

“Mikey Kilpatrick was man of the match again for a very impressive display, working hard on the right wing both back and forward and grabbing a great goal.”

Park host Thornaby Dubliners in the R T Raine Trophy this weekend.

Staithes Athletic’s superb resurgence continued with a 4-1 win on the road at Guisborough Three Fiddles.

Athletic had to battle from a 1-0 half-time deficit, but two goals apiece from striker Sam Calvert and man of the match Connor Hood guided them to the victory.

The back four of Isaac Hart, Ryan Gibson, Jamie Waters and Gary Sivills also shone.

Athletic’s win moves them to within just two points of local rivals Fishburn and three of their hosts Three Fiddles.

Staithes face a huge test when they travel to title-chasing BEADS this weekend.

Beckett League second division leaders Lealholm, who fielded a weakened side, won their Panasonic League Cup round one clash against Gillamoor 5-0.

Lealholm started superbly taking an early lead thanks to a Aaron Leeman goal after excellent work by Mark McCarthy.

Josh Hodgson scored Lealholm’s second after 66 minutes, five minutes later McCarthy scored with a 35-yard half-volley and in the last five minutes goals from Brad Lewis and Dan Stonehouse to sealed a 5-0 win.

In the quarter-finals Lealholm will be on the road at either Pickering Knights or Thornton-le-Dale Reserves.

Lealholm host Kirkbymoorside Reserves in the semi-finals of the Ryedale Hospital Cup this Saturday.