SUNDAY LEAGUE: Barrowcliff claim first victory

editorial image

Barrowcliff Reserves recorded their first win of the season when they beat Alma 5-3 on Thursday evening.

Tony Walker’s side moved off the bottom of the Division Two table in the process, leapfrogging their opponents on the night.

Jordan Padgham gave Alma an early lead, but two goals from Mark Reddy turned the game on its head.

Richard Curtis then struck before the interval to send Barrowcliff into half-time with a 3-1 advantage.

Two more strikes from the impressive Reddy sealed the points for the home side in the second period, while Dan Bateson and Craig Moss netted for the visitors.

“I’m really pleased that we’ve finally managed to get our first victory,” boss Walker said.

“The aim now is to try and stay unbeaten until the end of the season.”

Centre-half Craig Spooner was named as Barrowcliff’s man of the match.

Whitby outfit First In Last Out kept their promotion hopes on track with a 1-0 win at Ayton.

There were no goals in a close first half, but the visitors broke the deadlock after 55 minutes when Dan Brown teed up Phil Spencer to fire home.

Ayton pressed hard for a leveller and were left frustrated by a number of dubious offside decisions before Tyson Stubbings looked set to level things up in the 89th minute.

He was sent clean through on goal, only to be denied an equaliser by a fine save from the FILO keeper.

Alex McGovern was the victors’ star man, while centre-half James Reddish impressed for the hosts.

Ayton manager Mark Plumpton reflected: “This was one of the most enjoyable games I have played in all season as it was really close right until the end, it’s just a shame about the way it was refereed.”

The result leaves FILO just one point behind second-placed Ayton with four games in hand.

Fylingdales Reserves and Roscoes Bar produced a goal-fest, the village side eventually triumphing by a 7-4 scoreline.

Harry Purves put Dales 1-0 up before Jamie Wray’s half-volley restored parity.

A double from Lewis Peel and a Josh Hopley effort then put the home team in control and they went into half-time leading 4-1.

Wray’s second of the night and goals from Jack Brown and Dave Millington got Roscoes back in the game at 5-3 and 6-4, but Peel completed his hat-trick and Sam Bailey also struck to keep Dales’ noses in front.

A seventh goal for the hosts arrived courtesy of Bailey to round things off in the closing stages.