Sunday FA Cup, divisions 1 & 2: Luke’s double seals final spot

editorial image

A brace of goals from striker Luke Chambers helped Itis Itis to book a spot in the Scarborough & District FA Sunday Cup, while Trafalgar Reserves dented Fylingdales’ second division promotion hopes with a 6-2 home win against the villagers.

Scarborough & District FA Sunday Cup semi-finals

West Riding 3 (Williamson, Malcolm, Ellis) Itis Itis 5 (Chambers 2, I Sands, JP Watson, Wood)

An entertaining cup clash at Oliver’s Mount saw second division strugglers Itis Itis win 5-3 at promotion hopefuls West Riding.

Matty Miller’s victorious side have now made it to a cup final four seasons in a row, the past three seasons seeing them earn a place in the McCain Cup final, but this time they have made it to the area’s senior cup final, where they will face the winners of the Newlands v Trafalgar semi-final, which was postponed due to an unfit pitch.

The visitors opened the scoring when Isaac Sands slotted home a low shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Itis Itis then made it 2-0 when goal-poacher Luke Chambers struck from close range.

West Riding pulled a goal back before half-time through Kurt Williamson and made it 2-2 early in the second half through Cameron Malcolm.

The visitors were not rattled by this comeback and smashed in three quick goals to secure victory.

Gav Wood burst through the West Riding defence to make it 3-2, lofting his shot over the home keeper after his swift run.

A Lloyd Henderson free-kick was then met by an excellent diving header from JP Watson, and a typical striker’s finish from Chambers sealed the win.

Nick Ellis scored a third for West Riding to make for a nervy finale, but the visitors held on for the win.

Triumphand assistant boss Matty Hobson, who had to sit the game out with a foot injury, said: “We did very well, especially when they came back to 2-2 after we had taken that early lead.

“Our best player was once again centre-back Lloyd Henderson, while in central midfield Elliot Spurr put in another great shift.”

West Riding’s man of the match was Dave Oxley.

Newlands v Trafalgar - postponed, unfit pitch.

Division one

Seamer v West Pier - postponed, waterlogged pitch.

Division two

Trafalgar Reserves 6 (Pinder, C Hepples, G Hepples, L Cooper, Ellwell, Shaw) Fylingdales 2 (Forde pen, Chandler)

Fylingdales’ promotion hopes were dented by this defeat at Oliver’sMount against a Traf side that has now replaced them in second place in division two.

Jack Pinder opened the scoring for the hosts, but the villagers levelled with a Simon Forde penalty.

This spurred Traf into action and they turned on the style with three goals in rapid succession.

Liam Cooper made it 2-1 then left-back Grant Ellwell scored the goal of the game, a thundering shot from 40 yards out which rocketed into the top corner of the Fylingdales net.

The three-goal salvo was completed when Carl Hepples bundled the ball in from close range.

After the interval Wayne Shaw’s effort made it 5-1, and although Fylingdales struck for a second time through Paddy Chandler it was Traf who finished off the scoring with a cracking solo run and shot from Gary Hepples.

Ellwell was named as man of the match for Traf, while debutant Kyle May also impressedin the centre of midfield. Jake Faichney was the star man for Fylingdales.