SUNDAY CUP & DIVISION 2: Traf are spot on in shoot-out

editorial image

Trafalgar Reserves had an interesting day, triumphing 6-5 in their penalty shoot-out held over from their draw with Newlands Reserves in the Goalsports Trophy last week, then battled back from 3-0 down to earn a point at home to Commercial, while Newlands also drew 2-2 in their clash at Angel.

Goalsports Trophy quarter-final

Trafalgar Reserves beat Newlands Reserves 6-5 in penalty shoot-out

Traf secured their spot in the final four with a win in the shoot-out that should have been staged after last week’s game was locked at 3-3, but went to extra-time, which Newlands won 5-3.

The league ruled that both sides should battle it out in a shoot-out at Oliver’s Mount before their league games.

Dane Ramos scored with Traf’s first penalty, then Dean Andrews levelled but Jack Pinder made it 2-1 only for Paul Brunger to equalise.

Al Wray put Traf 3-2 up, Callum Myers smashed in Newlands’ third, then Kurtis Henderson made it 4-3 only for Jack McFarlane to level again.

Jamie Wray made it 5-4, Travis Wood replied for Newlands and Lewis Palmer restored Traf’s lead, Sean Hope skying his shot over the bar to hand the win to Traf.

West Pier Reserves 3 (Hyde 2, Midgley) Ayton 1 (Stubbings)

West Pier Reserves booked their spot in the semi-finals of the Goalsports Trophy thanks to a brace of goals from makeshift striker Jon Hyde.

The former Scarborough Athletic keeper scored in the 60th and 75th minutes to see off a plucky Ayton side, who PIer boss Andy Goodwin admitted could - and probably should have been - 4-1 ahead at half-time.

Despite a strong start from Ayton, Pier opened the scoring when a defensive slip-up allowed Danny Birley to break clear down the left flank and he crossed for Luke Midgley to slot home from close-range.

Ayton levelled five minutes later when Tyson Stubbings latched onto a Phil Pickard through ball and rounded the Pier keeper to make it 1-1.

Goodwin made a few changes at half-time, dropping Midgley back to fuight-back and shifting centre-back Hyde into a forward role to deal with the supremacy of Ayton centre-half Phil Pickard, who had won everything in the air for the villagers in the opening 45 minutes.

After a sluggish start to the second period Pier stepped up a gear and moving Hyde up front soon paid off as he made it 2-1 after a goalmouth srcramble on the hour mark and finished Ayton off with 15 minutes remaining, flicking the ball in at the near post.

The visitors still pushed hard and forced Pier keeper Steve Malone into a couple of fine saves to maintain his team’s lead.

Goodwin said: “I have to say we were very fortunate to progress today as Ayton were by far the better side in the first half and they should have been well clear at half-time, we weren’t at the races at all.

“I would have to single out Danny Birley, in left midfield, and centre-back Chris Ryan as our star men.”

Pickard was named as man of the match for Ayton for a commanding display at centre-back.

Division two

Trafalgar Reserves 3 (Ramos 2, J Wray) Commercial 3 (Barker 3)

Leaders TrafalgarReserves battled back from 3-0 down to earn a point at home to title rivals Commercial, the pacesetters losing their 100 per cent record.

A first-half double from in-form striker Mikey Barker gave Geoff Osguthorpe’s side a 2-0 half-time lead.

Barker completed his hat-trick to put the away side in command, but a tactical change by Traf, which saw Dane Ramos pushed up front for the second started to pay off and he pulled a goal back after fine approach play from Al Wray.

Ramos then struck again with a quickly-taken free-kick which bent around the wall and into the bottom corner of the net. Hot-shot Ramos then turned provider, his flick finding Jamie Wray who fired in the leveller.

Ramos was impressive in the second half after an indifferent opening 45 minutes, while the Wray brothers and defender Guy Newbould also shone for Traf, while Barker was at his explosive best for Commercial.

Angel 2 (Galway, Rose) Newlands Reserves 2 (Andrews pen, Wood)

Newlands Reserves missed a great chance to reduce Traf’s lead as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Angel.

Dean Andrews fired Newlands in front from the penalty spot and Callum Myers pulled the ball back for Travis Wood to make it 2-0

Dave Galway pulled it back to 2-1 before half-time and then after the break Angel piled on the pressure with the hosts eventually levelling through Curtis Rose’s shot.

Dan Sheader was man of the match in central midfield for Newlands, while Jack McFarlane sparkled in defence and Galway impressed for the hosts.

Heslerton 7 (Simpson 3, Daffern, K Oxendale, McLoughlin, Driver) Castle 1 (Watts)

In a fiery encounter that saw three Castle players sent off and one home player dismissed, Heslerton eased to a three-point haul.

Dean Storry’s troops led 2-0 at half-time thanks to goals from debutant Scott Simpson and Kingsley Daffern. Simpson went on to complete his hat-trick and further goals from Kev Oxendale, skipper James McLoughlin and super-sub Gareth Driver sealed the rout.

The visitors had Aaron Hepworth, Jack Watts and Brad Easton sent off, while Oxendale also saw red for the victors. Watts was dismissed five minutes after scoring Castle’s consolation midway through the second half.

Storry said: “Man of the match for us was shared between McLoughlin and 16-year-old left-back Aidan Horton.”

Tennyson Reserves 4 (Spooner, Mahoney, Hodgson, Young) Fylingdales Reserves 2 (Welham, Pearse)

Tennyson Reserves edged further away from the bottom half of the table with a home win against Fylingdales Reserves.

The hosts led 1-0 thanks to a 25-yard strike from Craig Spooner, but Dave Welham levelled for the away side with a free-kick two minutes before half-time.

Tennyson restored their lead just after the interval through a fine run and strike from Sam Mahoney and two further goals in the second half, the first a Kevin Hodgson finish and the second a Carl Young header from Spooner’s cross, secured the win for Tony Walker’s side. In the final five minutes Jack Pearse pulled a goal back for Dales.

Man of the match for Tennyson was central midfielder Hodgson who caused problems for Dales throughout the game.

Alma 1 Whitby Wanderers 6 (Keys 2, Landers, Taylor, Wilson, Ross)

A Jericho Keys double helped Whitby Wanderers claim a 6-1 win at Alma.

Keys smashed home the opener for Whitby, who then made it 2-0 with an 18-yard strike from Jimmy Landers, further goals from sub Simon Taylor and Keys making it 4-0 at the interval.

Jack Wilson and sub Ste Ross smacked in the final two goals for Wanderers, the home side grabbing a late consolation.