Staithes ditch holders in knockout cup shock

STAITHES Athletic pulled off a shock result in the UPVC Suppliers Knockout Cup, ousting holders Lingdale FC in the first round.

Lingdale took the lead with a Karl Duggan goal, but within five minutes Steve Starsmore hit a 25 yard rocket to equalise.

Lingdale created chances but could not score while Staithes made the most of their chances with a Thompson goal and a rare headed goal from James Rice to dump their opponents out.

At Loftus, a thrilling cup tie took place with Lealholm, both defences were on top form and opportunities to score were few.

The first goal came on 70 minutes when Lealholm opened up the home defence and Hindmarsh sidefooted the ball home.

Loftus pushed forward and a well-placed Tony Sivills free-kick was guided past the keeper, with Stuart Oswald applying the final touch.

In the final minutes, Tony Sivils hit the Lealholm bar and the game went to extra time.

With Loftus pushing for the win, Lealholm broke away and when the home defenders failed to clear the ball Hindmarsh was on hand to score and win the game.

Hinderwell played host to Boosbeck United and almost pulled off a shock result. The visitors took a two-goal lead only for Hinderwell to draw level in the second half and take the game to extra time.

A hotly disputed penalty for Boosbeck was converted, restoring the lead for the visitors.

Hinderwell, clearly deflated by the penalty, lost their battling spirit and conceded two further goals.

In the only Eskvale and Cleveland League fixture, Goldsborough had a comfortable home win against North Skelton.

Two goals - one in each half from Stuart Marsay - and a great individual run from Richard Hegarty, taking the ball from his own half, skipping past four defenders before passing the ball to Stuart Marsay to score, capped a great display by Goldsborough.

Before all the games, a minute’s silence was observed for Alan Ferguson, a local referee who officiated in the league for many seasons, who passed away last week.