Saturday League: Rovers stunned by Eastway

Previously rampant Itis Itis Rovers suffered their first league defeat of the season, losing 4-2 at Eastway Sports in Division Three.

Saturday, 5th November 2016, 6:00 pm
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 4:15 pm
Edgehill Reserves head in one of their 13 goals against Falsgrave. Picture: Steve Lilly

Eric Hall smashed in all four goals for Eastway, inflicting Rovers' first defeat in league action after previously smashing in 52 goals in their first seven league games.

Luke Jones and substitute Sean Bloom netted for Mikey Barker's side, while Ryan Matson slammed a late penalty against the bar to round-off a miserable day for the league leaders.

Barker was left disappointed by his side's efforts. He said: "We missed a lot of chances and a penalty, if we'd have taken them we would have won.

Taylor Jordan (orange) netted for Scalby Reserves in their 4-1 win at home to Fishrburn Park Reserves. Picture: Steve Lilly.

"It was one of those days."

Edgehill 3rds took advantage and closed the gap at the top with a 4-2 win at Goldsborough United.

A Simon Robson own goal handed Goldsborough the lead, but Tom Scales netted to hand Edgehill parity at the break.

Martin Coulson made it 3-1 after the interval before Carl Hepples slammed in from long-range.

Taylor Jordan (orange) netted for Scalby Reserves in their 4-1 win at home to Fishrburn Park Reserves. Picture: Steve Lilly.

United hit back for 3-2, but Martyn Jenkinson notched to wrap up the win for Martin Cappleman's side, despite both Coulson and Tyler Herrington missing penalties.

Cappleman singled out Connor Sewell as his side's man of the match.

Scalby Reserves claimed their first win of the season, beating Fishburn Park Reserves 4-1.

The Otters dominated the first half, two goals from Sam Swift handing them a 2-0 lead before Nic Wheatman smashed in the goal of the game to hand them a 3-0 lead at the break.

Scalby took their foot off the gas in the second half and Aaron Cook fired into the top corner to make it 3-1, before Taylor Jordan latched onto a through-ball and guided the ball into the bottom corner to wrap up a deserved win for the hosts.

Fishburn keeper Kieran Purvis was the away side's star man, making a string of superb saves to keep his side in the contest, while Swift, Wheatman and Richard Brice shone for Scalby.

Commercial also won by a 4-1 scoreline, beating Ayton at home.

Matty Rowley's penalty handed Commercial the lead, only for Ayton to equalise through Chris Milburn.

An own goal gave Commercial the lead again before Adam Smith's strike ensured they led 3-1 at the break.

A fairly uneventful second half saw Commercial net their fourth through Rowley to complete a comfortable win.

Smith stood out for Commercial.

Edgehill Reserves were the big winners in Division Two, hammering Falsgrave 13-1.

Jon Cairns led the way for Martyn Ferrey's side, hammering in four goals, while Lee Dennis smashed in a hat-trick and player-boss Ferrey added two.

Man of the match Craig Love, Ryan Link, Benny Davis and Matty Burling also found the net for the victors in a dominant performance.

Champions Newlands Reserves beat Cayton Reserves 5-1.

Adam Stride put Park 1-0 up before Paddy Mancrief's volley doubled their advantage.

Man of the match Sam Chambers made it 3-0 before keeper Will Rowley slotted in a penalty to send them 4-0 up.

Chambers capped off a superb display with their fifth, before Cayton netted a late consolation.

Goalsports' resurgence continued with a 5-2 win at home to FC Rosette.

Dan Pickard netted the only goal of the first half, before Tyson Stubbings smashed in a hat-trick after the break as the home side led 3-0 and 4-1, Joe Logan netting for Rosette.

Dan Pollard fired in the goal of the game with a sublime lob to make it 5-1 before Logan grabbed his and Rosette's second.

Player-boss Mark Plumpton said: "This was the best we've played all season, it should've been double figures really."

Snainton held table-toppers West Pier Reserves to a 1-1 draw.

Neither side could find a way through in the first-half but Pier broke through shortly after the break through Rich Tolliday's clever lob from an acute angle.

They couldn't hold on though against a determined Snainton side, who levelled and sealed a point after 70 minutes.

Clayton Walker was Pier's star man.

In Division One, Geoff Nock's Newlands side beat Sleights 7-2.

Drew McCoubrey was their star man once again as he fired in four goals, with Jamie Gallagher and Jason Prosser, who scored the goal of the game, their other scorers.

Jack Henshaw and Charlie Patterson scored for a determined Sleights side, who never stopped battling despite their deficit.

Boss Nock singled out McCoubrey and midfielder Jack Hakings as his side's star men.

Hunmanby United's impressive season continued with a 3-0 win at struggling Cayton.

Chris Mann handed them a 1-0 lead, heading in from a Lee Micklethwaite corner.

Leigh Franks came off the bench and conceded what appeared to be a very soft penalty, but United felt justice was done as a tame spot-kick was easily saved by Jonny Hyde.

Five minutes later Franks headed in at the back post to make it 2-0, before their win was wrapped up by Cameron Dobson.

Hyde and Chris Duley stood out for United, who are third behind Newlands and Pier, with a game in hand on second-placed Park.