Saturday League round-up: Cup woe for Whitby sides

Sam Bailey battles for possession as Whitby Fishermen drew at Cayton
Sam Bailey battles for possession as Whitby Fishermen drew at Cayton

Whitby RUFC suffered late heartbreak as they were knocked out of the Coastal Shellfish League Cup by Filey Town.

Steve Mothersdale’s men led Town 1-0 thanks to a Lewis Peel strike after 30 minutes, but a last-minute penalty from Darren Clough denied them their place in the next round.

Filey smashed in two extra-time strikes to make it 3-1 before James Organ-Simpson ran the full length of the pitch before firing in a fine solo effort to make it 3-2.

The visitors weren’t to be denied though and another late penalty sealed a 4-2 triumph.

Sleights Reserves also suffered an extra-time defeat as they went down 5-3 on the road at Scalby Reserves despite being 3-1 up with just nine minutes of normal time remaining.

Rich Davies, Mike Butler and Mike Brennan scored to put the visitors in the ascendancy.

Karl Hansell registered for Scalby in the first half before a George Wilson penalty and a last-gasp leveller from Dave Oxley forced the extra period.

Wilson netted another spot kick and Daniel Gregory lifted the ball over keeper David Fish in the 120th minute to seal the home side’s progress.

In Division One, Whitby Fishermen were held to a 1-1 draw at Cayton Corinthians.

After a goalless first half, an own goal by Harry Holden from Steve Swales’ corner gave Mark Storr’s men the lead, but Josh Venner rescued a point for Cayton when he latched onto a ball into the box and rifled into the top corner.

Fishermen enjoyed plenty of possession but couldn’t find a winner and Cayton boss Shaun Rennison admitted that his side were lucky to escape with a point.

“They had more of the ball and we hung on for a draw in the end,” he said.

Sleights suffered their second defeat on the bounce when they were beaten 5-0 at Hunmanby United.

Tommy Wilson grabbed a brace for the home side, while there were also goals for James Pinder, Cameron Dobson and Scarborough Athletic’s Leigh Franks.

Division Three newcomers Fishburn Park Reserves got off the mark for the season with a 1-1 draw at high-flying Eastway Sports.

Park led through Tom Wardell’s strike after good work from Ste Ross on the hour-mark.

It wasn’t to be for the visitors though as Eastway bagged a point following an equaliser from a corner after 80 minutes.

Park boss Carl Oliver said: “We should’ve had three points today. We played well and deserved to win the game.

“Rich Lane and Callum Halley were superb in midfield for us.”