Saturday League reports: Pier, Filey and Newlands stay on title track

editorial image

West Pier, Filey Town and Newlands all stayed in the title race in the Scarborough News Saturday League in another busy night of action, with teams at the foot of the table also battling for their survival and Sleights boosting their division three promotion challenge.

Division one

Fishburn Park 0 West Pier 7 (M Cooper 3, T Barker 2, W Jenkinson, Provins)

A Martin Cooper hat-trick helped Pier secure all three points in a fine display at relegation-battling Fishburn.

Tommy Barker also scored twice for Andy Spivey’s defending champions, with Will Jenkinson and Pier stalwart Paul Provins also on target for the visitors.

Spivey said: “In a good team performance, Phil Meads, James Wardle and Kyle Spivey all impressed for us.”

Hunmanby United 0 Filey Town 3 (S Dickens, Sugden, Flynn)

Dave Brannan’s re-shuffled Filey side worked hard for a derby victory at Sands Lane, a result that keeps them firmly in contention at the top of the first division.

In a scrappy first half it was Stu Dickens, who had stepped up from the reserve team, who showed his striking skills by controlling a long pass superbly and smashing the ball past the United keeper.

Hunmanby came back into the game after this goal, but Town hung on to lead at the interval.

On the hour mark, Liam Sugden doubled the advantage for the visitors and this seemed to cause the home side’s heads to drop, especially when Cameron Dobson was denied by a brilliant Jamie Haxby save to maintain Filey’s two-goal lead.

Town central midfielder Lalan Flynn, another player to have moved up from Jay Taylor’s second division Filey Town Reserves side, struck a third goal. Former Edgehill ace Flynn also won the man-of-the-match award.

Newlands 5 (Delve, Mintoft, Luntley, Fields, Tadman) Ryedale Sports Club 1 (Fewster)

Newlands recovered from their 2-2 draw with Whitby Fishermen’s Society to earn a comfortable home win against a depleted Ryedale side.

Keeper George Elliott pulled off a couple of fine early saves as the visitors started brightly, despite having to field a number of reserve team players.

Goals from Luke Delve and right-back Jordan Mintoft eased the home side’s nerves, but the Pickering side replied just before half-time through their man of the match, striker Jamie Fewster - another young player who usually lines up for the Ryedale second string.

The Newlands man of the match Ben Luntley added a third goal with a neat finish early in the second half, and further goals from Kile Fields and James Tadman - who also had a solid game - completed the win.

Ryedale boss John Reed said: “I am very proud of the young lads who came in for us against a strong Newlands team. We may have lost 5-1 but we had quite a few chances to score and their keeper was on top form so it was encouraging for these lads who stepped up.”

Westover Wasps 1 (L Jones) Edgehill 4 (Collins pen, D Jones, Woolford, JP Watson)

Despite resting most of his first-choice team ahead of Wednesday’s League Cup final with Filey, Edgehill boss Steve Clegg was delighted to see his side win at relegation-haunted Westover.

Clegg said: “With such a big game on Wednesday I brought a lot of reserves into the team and they did themselves proud tonight.

“There were only three first-team players in the starting line-up, but the lads who stepped up were outstanding.”

Danny Collins fired Edgehill in front from the penalty spot on 10 minutes, the spot-kick awarded when Tom Scales was brought down in the area after a surging run.

Man of the match Dan Jones, who has featured mainly as a substitute for the Edgehill first-team this season, made it 2-0 to cap a cracking game at centre-back - which is not his normal position.

Jonathan Woolford volleyed in at the far post for Edgehill to put them in the driving seat at the interval.

Luke Jones pulled a goal back for the home side with a stunning 30-yard strike, but the three-goal advantage was restored by the experienced JP Watson, who applied the finishing touch to a free-flowing team move from the visitors.

Whitby Fishermen’s Society 1 (M Swales) Seamer Sports 1 (Tiffany)

Seamer took a step closer to beating the drop with a hard-earned point from this keenly-contested encounter.

Joe Tiffany smashed in the opening goal for the visitors on the half-hour mark with a fine drive from the edge of the penalty area.

Before half-time former Pickering Town hot-shot Mark Swales levelled for the home side.

The two sides battled for supremacy after the interval, but there were no further goals and both teams had to settle for a point.

Seamer chief Matty Dawson said: “We had three first-choice players missing for this game so I am delighted that we earned a point, and this may be enough to confirm our spot in division one for next season.”

“Jake Moore was our man of the match f or a strong display in defence, but the whole team were outstanding.”

Other result: Ayton 0 Eastfield 1

Division three

Seamer Sports Reserves 1 Sleights 7 (Watson 3, Martin, Rhucroft, McCarthy, Brennan)

Sleights stayed on course for claining the second promotion spot from division three after battling back from 1-0 down to hammer hosts Seamer Reserves.

Ben Watson took his season’s tally to 37 goals with his hat-trick, while man of the match Andy Martin, Ian Rhucroft, Mark McCarthy and Lee Brennan - with an assured finish secured the win for the visitors.

Ayton Reserves 7 (Grayston 3, Hick, White, own goal) Westover Wasps Reserves 0

A John Grayston hat-trick helped Ayton’s second team to a comfortable win at home to Westover Reserves.

Grayston scored an early double, with a Dan Pollard strike making it 3-0 to Mark Plumpton’s side by half-time.

A Tyson Stubbings cross was then deflected in by a Wasps defender in the opening seconds of the second half, effectively sealing the win for the home side.

Man of the match Grayston, who was playing on the left side of a three-man strike force, then completed his treble as Ayton eased clear.

Tim Hick then scored the goal of the game, the sub bringing the ball down expertly with his first touch of the game before drilling his shot past the Wasps keeper.

A Corey White header capped the win for Ayton, who can still finish in the top five if they win their final three games.