SATURDAY LEAGUE: Eastway move into Trophy semis after Sherburn success

Two Eastway players converge on a Sherburn man during their 2-1 win in the Trophy Trader League Trophy quarter-finals. Picture: Steve Lilly.
Two Eastway players converge on a Sherburn man during their 2-1 win in the Trophy Trader League Trophy quarter-finals. Picture: Steve Lilly.

Eastway Sports moved into the semi-finals of the Trophy Trader League Trophy after edging to a 2-1 win at Sherburn.

The sides were locked at 0-0 heading into the break, despite both teams having chances to break the deadlock.

Whitby Fishermen on the attack at Edgehill. Picture by Steve Lilly.

Whitby Fishermen on the attack at Edgehill. Picture by Steve Lilly.

Steve Parker was unlucky not to find the net for the hosts, but his header from a free-kick struck the post and rolled away to safety.

Sherburn also had an effort hacked off the line, while Eastway were also dangerous on the break.

The away side took the lead one minute after the break, Joe Turner's effort fortuitously looping into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Sherburn keeper Shaun Dolan had to be at his best to deny Eric Hall, and then the hosts levelled up when sub Gary Tyson neatly directed header from eight yards after latching onto a long ball over the top.

Eastway weren't to be denied though and hit back to take the lead yet again with 80 minutes on the clock.

Man of the match Tom Fennell flew forward from right-back and whipped in a superb cross for Hall to lash into the top corner on the half-volley and send Eastway into the semi-finals.

Fennell was in superb form for the victors, while Hall took his goal well to seal the victory.

Right-back Stu Pickard was star man for defeated Sherburn. Their manager Andy Adamson said: "I thought we deserved to take it into extra-time, but we didn't take our chances."

Edgehill cruised to a 4-0 win against struggling Whitby Fishermen in Division One.

Neither keeper was troubled during a scrappy and fairly uneventful first 45 minutes.

Steve Clegg's side grabbed the first goal of the contest 10 minutes into the second half, debutant Luke Jones whipping a deep cross to the far post, where a Fishermen's defender tried to clear, only to see his effort cannon off Ricky Greening and into the back of the net.

It was soon 2-0, Jones getting on the scoresheet himself this time with the goal of the game, beating a handful of Fishermen's defenders before lashing into the bottom corner.

The Fishermen were then reduced to 10 men as Dan Smith was shown a second yellow card.

Edgehill's dominance then continued when midfielder James Gunn made it 3-0 after a neat one-two with Dean Craig on the edge of the box.

Their scoring was rounded off by Jackson Jowett, who cut in from the flank before unleashing a curling effort into the back of the net.

Edgehill could've added a fifth late on, but Paul Cull saved Dean Craig's penalty.

Clegg singled out Gunn and Kurtis Henderson as his side's star men.

Filey Town had to battle hard for a 2-1 win on the road at Seamer.

Town held a 1-0 advantage at the break, Darren Clough grabbing the only goal of the first half.

Gary Lawton levelled matters up after 55 minutes for the hosts, but Filey midfielder Lalan Flynn fired in the winner for Dave Brannan's side with 20 minutes left on the clock.

Seamer huffed and puffed to try and level up again, but couldn't find a way through the stubborn Town rearguard.

Ben Briggs and Tom Micklethwaite were singled out by boss Brannan, who said: "It was a good scrap in terrible conditions, but I feel we just about edged it and deserved to win."

In Division Three, Fishburn Park Reserves beat third-placed Commercial 3-1.

The resurgent hosts led 1-0 at the break, Joe Crowther with the only goal of the first half after a long punt forward by keeper and manager Carl Oliver was flicked onto him and he finished neatly.

Crowther grabbed his and Park's second after half-time before excellent work on the right flank by Jack Kipling set up Marc Usher to tap in for 3-0.

Commercial pulled back a consolation effort late on when Park had 10 men on the pitch due to a late injury.

Player-boss Oliver was full of praise for his side, in particular his young back four of Jack Kelly, 18, James Jackson, 17, Jacob Rigdon, 16, and Ben Braim, 16.

Oliver said: "The entire back four were excellent for such young lads.

"We are playing well at the moment and all the lads seem to be enjoying their football again."

Goldsborough United kept their outside shot at gaining promotion on track with a 5-1 home win against Seamer 3rds.

Player-boss Mike Dent and man of the match Sam Pike scored in the first half to send the hosts in 2-0 up at the interval.

Their dominance continued into the second half as Tom Kilpatrick, skipper Ben Watson and Owen Stoker all got on the scoresheet to make it 5-0 before Seamer grabbed a late consolation.