SATURDAY LEAGUE: Divisions 1 & 2 - Pier and Edgehill maintain title bids

Newlands man of the match Sean Pinder can't prevent Whitby Fishermen from finding the back of the net. Picture by Steve Lilly.
Newlands man of the match Sean Pinder can't prevent Whitby Fishermen from finding the back of the net. Picture by Steve Lilly.

Both West Pier and Edgehill sealed wins to ensure a tense finish to the Division One title race.

West Pier rode their luck on the way to a 3-0 win against Filey Town.

Pier led early on, Sean Exley's long throw finding Jimmy Beadle to find the back of the Filey net.

Filey were guilty of missing a host of chances, hitting the post on three occasions, but they were 2-0 down at half-time, Sam Garnett sending Jamie Bradshaw through on goal and me made no mistake.

Town were on top for the first 15 minutes of the second half, but again missed chances came back to haunt them when Bradshaw's cross into the box was turned into his own net by Brandon Catherall.

Pier boss Andy Spivey singled out defender Danny Cooper as his side's star man.

Steve Clegg's Edgehill side beat Hunmanby United 2-0 to stay hot on the heels of the champions and league leaders.

Edgehill had lots of the ball, without troubling stand-in keeper Ryan Baldry on too many occasions.

They took the lead 20 minutes in when Luke Jones raced onto Luke Jenkinson's through-ball and lobbed Baldry.

It took until the 70th minute for Edgehill to net their second, Danny Collins finishing neatly from just inside the Hunmanby box.

Skipper Joe Gallagher was Edgehill's star man, while striker Oli Milner was on form for United.

Ten-man Newlands beat Whitby Fishermen 3-2.

Geoff Nock's depleted side took the lead after 20 minutes, Drew McCoubrey beating the offside trap before rounding the keeper and tapping in.

Fishermen battled back after the break and took a 2-1 lead, but Park rallied and were level after 70 minutes, Michael Wilson's well-placed header finding the back of the net.

The victory was sealed five minutes later when Stew Bates was brought down by the Fishermen keeper and stepped up to slot in from the resulting penalty.

Nock handed keeper Sean Pinder the man of the match award.

Seamer Reserves closed the gap on Division Two leaders Filey Town Reserves to nine points after they beat second-placed Edgehill Reserves 2-1.

Player-boss Tommy Adams latched onto a second ball in the Edgehill box to put his Seamer side 1-0 up after an hour, following a goalless first half.

It was soon 2-0 when Adams popped up again to head in his and his team's second.

Edgehill hit back through Kieron Grzesowski with 10 minutes left to play, but it wasn't enough for Martyn Ferrey's side to take anything from the game.

Table-topping Filey Town Reserves were held to a 1-1 draw at Scalby.

Filey led 1-0 at the break, Josh Westmoreland finished from a corner to hand Town the lead.

They were reduced to 10 men just after the break after Jake Adams stamped on Aidan Thomas.

Scalby were handed the chance to level up when Thomas was tripped in the box.

Top-scorer Rob Speight saw his penalty saved, but Ashley Townley was quick to follow up and squeeze in an equaliser.

Town were then reduced to nine men as Tom Haxby was given his marching orders for dissent.

Both sides had superb chances to seal all three points in stoppage time.

First Scalby's Ben Webster slammed against the under side of the bar when well-placed, before Town countered and Joe Gage went one-on-one with keeper Jonny Frame, who flew bravely off his line to halt the visiting striker.

Townley was Scalby's man of the match, while defenders Danny Wedge and Grant Elwell also impressed.

Westmoreland was Town's star man.

Goalsports' superb week continued as they added to their League Trophy success against Eastway with a 7-1 win at Duchess.

Mark Plumpton's side led 5-0 at half-time and continued their dominance into the second half.

Tyson Stubbings was brought down in the box and Dan Pickard swept home their opener from the spot.

Jonny Blakeston then grabbed two to make it 3-0, before Kieran Friett found the back of the net.

Blakeston wrapped up a first-half hat-trick to make it 5-0 at the break.

Jake Adams headed in their sixth, before Pickard missed a penalty.

Duchess then also missed a penalty, before Tom Collins made it 7-0 to the away side.

The hosts were handed a consolation goal in bizarre circumstances when Dempsey Stubbings somehow managed to guide the ball past his own keeper.

Hat-trick hero Blakeston was Goalsports' star man.

Having not picked up a win from their first 14 league games this season, rock-bottom Rosette made it two wins from three games after stunning Newlands 3-1 at Oliver's Mount.

Wayne Shaw, playing out of position at centre-back, made it 1-0 to Rosette after breaking from defence and playing a neat one-two.

Joe McDowell found the back of the net to hand Rosette a 2-0 lead at the interval.

Newlands hit back through Adam Stride, but a 50-yard scorcher from veteran Paul Scott, who smashed in after a poor clearance by the Newlands keeper, wrapped up a 3-1 win for Rosette.

Liam Cummings smashed in five goals as Snainton hammered Falsgrave Athletic 8-2.

Falsgrave led through their man of the match Simon Young, but goals from Martin Braywood and Ryan Collins gave Snainton a 2-1 lead at half-time.

Mark Reddy struck for Falsgrave after the break, but Cummings smashed in five second-half goals and Collins added his second to wrap up a comfortable 8-2 win.

Ned Spencer was Snainton's star man.