Saturday League Division Three - Table toppers Rosette edge out Town

FC Rosette look set for a rapid return to the second division after they beat Filey Town Thirds 4-3 to stay firmly on top of the pile in Division Three.

Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 8:01 pm
Updated Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 8:06 pm
Wayne Shaw (yellow) had a hand in Rosette's second goal in their 4-3 win at Filey Town Thirds

Rosette fell behind early on after a long-range effort flew in, but Robin Dixon headed in Louis Palmer's free-kick to make it 1-1.

Tommy Blakburn put Rosette 2-1 up after pouncing to tap in after Wayne Shaw's effort was parried by the keeper.

Palmer enjoyed a slice of luck after the break when his attempted cross flew straight into the top corner to put Rosette 3-1 up, but two more goals from Town levelled matters up again.

With just four minutes left on the clock, Jack Worthy capitalised on a defensive mix-up to fire in and claim all three points for the table-toppers.

Guy Newbold was Rosette's man of the match, while Aaron Howard, Johnny Hunter and Lee Lambert netted for Town.

Goal Sports still have a chance of catching Rosette, and they bounced back from their League Trophy final heartbreak with a 3-2 win at home to Sleights Reserves.

Sports missed an early penalty after Paul Hill was felled in the area, Tyson Stubbings blazing over the bar.

Hill won another pen shortly after and this time Kieran Friett made no mistake in putting the home side 1-0 up.

Player-boss Mark Plumpton then made it 2-0 with a 20-yard free-kick that curled over the wall and into the back of the net.

Stubbings atoned for his penalty miss by firing his side 3-0 up, but just as they did against Edgehill Reserves in Wednesday's final defeat, Goal Sports switched off again and almost threw away the win.

Sub and man Sleights man of the match Rob Ingham fired in twice to give the Whitby side hope, but Goal Sports held on to take the three points.

Plumpton said: "The second half was shambolic, we didn't play well at all, but at least we've taken the win."

Fishburn Park Reserves put the nine men of Eastway Sports to the sword, winning 9-0.

Jack Kipling opened the scoring for Carl Oliver's side, but was sent off shortly afterwards after swearing at referee Nathan Brown.

That didn't halt Park, who led 7-0 at the break but took their foot off the gas after the interval.

The rest of their goals came courtesy of Kane Brannick and Callum Halley doubles and strikes from Finlay Morris, Aaron Cook, Chris Hurworth and sub Rich Fletcher.

Oliver said: "Credit to Eastway, they turned up with nine men when they could've called it off and they kept going throughout the game."

Itis Itis Rovers drew 3-3 with Commercial.

A Ryan Summers pen handed Commercial the lead but Ellis Wilson ensured the sides went in level at the break.

Veteran striker Dan I'Anson fired in after a melee in the box to make it 2-1 to Commercial again, but back came Rovers, this time Forsyth levelling the game up.

Wilson chipped the Commercial keeper to make it 3-2, but Luke Jenkinson's left-foot strike grabbed a point for the away side.

Commercial keeper Daz Palmer was in fine form to collect the man of the match honours.

Westover Wasps Reserves beat Scalby Reserves 3-1 at Carr Lane.

Rob Whitehead fired in two early goals for the Wasps before going off injured before Callum Myers netted a third.

George Wilson's second-half effort gave Scalby hope, but Westover held on to take the three points.

Ryan Link impressed for the victors, while Scalby skipper Rich Brice grafted hard for Jeff Brader's men.

Sherburn collected three points after beating Hunmanby United Reserves 3-1.

Liam Scott fired in two and Stuart Pickard also notched a rare goal for the victors.

Carl Sample was Sherburn's man of the match.