Saturday League Division One - Pier battle back to edge closer to title joy

West Pier edged closer to the title, but they had to battle back from 4-1 down at the interval at Edgehill to take a share of the spoils.

Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 6:53 pm
Updated Saturday, 2nd April 2016, 7:01 pm
Will Jenkinson (red and black kit) scored a header as West Pier battled back from 4-1 down to draw 4-4 at Edgehill

Edgehill battered Pier in the opening exchanges and had them on the ropes as they led 4-1 at the break.

Their first two came via pacy striker Danny Glendinning, who took advantage of poor defending to open the scoring before he pounced after Pier stopper Chris Ferrey could only palm an effort into his path to double their lead.

This second goal shook Pier into action and Sam Garnett halved their deficit before Edgehill keeper Liam Giles was forced to make a couple of smart stops.

Pier's momentum didn't last long though as goals from ex-Pier striker Mikey Barker and Lloyd Henderson put Steve Clegg's men firmly in the driving seat at half-time.

But Andy Spivey's men battled back and a thunderous strike from Martin Cooper made it 4-2 before Will Jenkinson headed in to make it 4-3.

With 10 minutes left on the clock Pier restored parity when prolific striker Billy Logan dinked the ball over Giles to seal a point for his side.

Edgehill almost nicked the three points late on, but Pier defender Chris Nelson somehow stopped a goalbound strike with the back of his head and Pier shared the spoils from a thrilling encounter.

Giles and striker Jordan Shaw stood out for Edgehill, while Gary Thomas, who reverted to centre-back for the injured Steve Sheader, stood out for Pier.

Pier were boosted in their bid to win the title by Newlands' shock 2-0 home defeat against Cayton.

The depleted home side fell behind against Cayton, who were under the stewardship of Damon Cook in the absence of Shaun Rennison, after 55 minutes after they mixed things up with a change of formation, leading to a simple tap-in for substitute Harry Sleep, who had only just come off the bench.

Sleep and fellow sub Joel Boyer then linked up nicely to feed Scott Davison to finish off the contest, and possibly the title race.

Cook paid homage to his side: "I don't think our keeper had a save to make, they had much more possession but couldn't break us down.

"We deserved the win, it was a great team performance."

Cook named Alex May as his side's man of the match.

Hunmanby United consolidated fifth spot after beating sixth-placed Seamer 5-1.

Cameron Dobson grabbed a brace and goals from former Connah's Quay striker Ryan Crawford, James Pinder and veteran Andy Crawford sealed the win for United, who put in a superb team performance.

Filey Town dropped two points as their bid to challenge the front-runners hit a setback as they drew 1-1 at Whitby Fishermen's Society.

Town only travelled to Whitby with 10 men and put in a battling display to seal a share of the spoils, Darren Clough grabbing their goal.

Westover Wasps and Sleights shared the spoils after a feisty encounter at Oliver's Mount.

An own goal set Jamie Heritage's men on their way early on before Ryan Matson volleyed in after 10 minutes to double their lead.

Lewis Peel's strike and skipper James Fawcett's penalty turned the game on it's head after the break as Sleights grabbed a point.

Sleights' star man was Robbie Hurworth, while Nathan Barber and Matson shone for Wasps.