SATURDAY LEAGUE: Cup & Division 1 - Pier and Edgehill set up Harbour Cup final clash

West Pier and Edgehill beat Hunmanby United and Sinnington respectively to set up a Harbour Cup final clash.

Saturday, 18th February 2017, 7:14 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 8:30 am
Sleights (green kit) get on the ball during their 3-2 defeat at Seamer. Pictures by Steve Lilly.

West Pier had to dig deep and defend well to beat Hunmanby United 2-0 and advance to the final.

It took until the 70th minute for Pier to break through a resolute and organised United defence, Sean Exley firing in a rasping drive from an acute angle.

It was soon 2-0, Exley crossing for Jimmy Beadle to head home from close-range to wrap up the win.

Pier boss Spivey said: "Credit to Hunmanby, they grafted hard and were organised and hard to break down.

"We dominated the ball from start to finish, but they proved a hard team to break down."

Spivey singled out centre-back Gaz Thomas as his side's star man, while also praising the performances of Danny Cooper and James Wardle, who filled in after a spell on the sidelines.

Jonny Hyde was United's star man, while they were missing key men Leigh Franks and Cameron Dobson through injuries.

Pier will meet Edgehill in the final after Steve Clegg's side beat Sinnington 2-0.

A scrappy first half finished goalless despite Edgehill enjoying the majority of the possession.

Kieran Link broke the deadlock after 55 minutes as he applied the finish following a scramble in the area from a corner.

Sub Benny Davis scored his first goal for Edgehill's first team with just two minutes left on the clock to seal the win for Edgehill.

Lloyd Henderson was the star man for Clegg's side, while skipper Joe Gallagher also impressed.

Darren Clough smashed in five goals for Filey Town as they hammered struggling Cayton 6-0 in Division One.

Man of the match Clough was joined on the scoresheet by Matthew Bedson.

Westover Wasps took full advantage of Cayton's defeat as they beat Whitby Fishermen 3-1 and move off the foot of the table.

Neither side could get going in the opening 45 minutes after a scrappy first half yieled few chances on either goal.

The Fishermen drew first blood as they took the lead after the break, but that lead was quickly wiped out by Luke Delve's equaliser for the Wasps.

Delve then turned provider for Chris Hannam to fire Westover in front for the first time in the contest.

The game was put to bed when Delve edged a 50/50 challenge with Fishermen's keeper and slotted in for 3-1.

Wasps boss Jamie Heritage said: "It was a scrappy game with few chances but I can't fault one person.

"Winger Martin Kelly was man of match with Shem Atkinson and Jack McFarlane at centre-back also impressing.

Seamer beat Sleights 3-2 to move further away from the wrong end of the table.

Young striker Billy Graham put Ed Turner and Sam Leadley's side 1-0 up early on, before the hosts levelled through Matty Drury's header to make it honours even at half-time.

Winger Taylor Humble reinstated the visitors' advantage, but that wasn't to prove enough for Sleights as late strikes from Danny Glendinning and man of the match Luke Purvis turned the match on its head.

The away side left to rue a number of missed opportunities after the interval, while keeper Taylor Humble was their star man.