Replay required as cup derby ends in stalemate

Share this article

FISHBURN Park under 13s had a tough tie away to Goldsborough FC in the semi-final of the Schneider Cup with the winners to play Ayton FC in the final at Bridlington in May.

The game started at a frenetic pace with the game end-to-end. Fishburn came close on a couple of occasions after some good work down the flanks by Nathan Storr and Harry Purves.

Harry Lightwing was sweeping up nicely in defence with Liam Clarkson playing in an attacking midfield role.

Sam Pike was covering a lot of ground in the midfield putting his foot in when required.

Goldsborough were playing some nice football of their own but their first goal had an element of luck about it,

Jordan Sneap lost control of the ball on the halfway line and a big boot upfield by the defender sent the ball soaring into the air towards the Fishburn goal.

Keeper Charles Brown was in two minds whether to go and collect the ball but he arrived a little late and the ball bounced over his head for an easy tap-in for the striker.

Fishburn got going again and played a lot of football down the left hand side with Chester Adamski and Will Cork-Dove holding the ball up well. A chance fell to Storr just inside the box but soared over the bar.

After Tom Shrimpton had seen the ball out for a clear goal-kick, the Goldsborough winger tried to cross the ball which came off a Fishburn defender and the referee mysteriously gave a corner.

Some poor marking in the box gave the striker a yard of space and he left Brown no chance to make it 2-0.

Fishburn haven’t been 2-0 down all season and Goldsborough were really upping their game.

Jack Idle was introduced down the right in an attempt to hassle the right back as he was having too much time on the ball. The plan worked as he slowly choked the distribution from the home defence.

Half-time couldn’t come soon enough and the management team of Dave Pike and Paul Hewison read the riot act.

Fishburn came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders, Luke Stokoe won a clean header in midfield and after some nice interplay between Sneap, Idle and Clarkson Purves was away, he beat two players before a fierce shot struck the hand of the defender on its way to goal,

The referee awarded the penalty and Purves gave the keeper no chance.

Fishburn were desperate to get back on par but Goldsboro where counter-attacking well. Time ticked on and after a 10 minute rest on the sideline Cork-Dove was brought back on to add some more firepower upfront.

Fishburn had a number of good chances but it looked as if they weren’t going to get the equalising goal.

However, with a little over two minutes left, a cut out ball by Lightwing in defence was passed through Shrimpton, Pike, Storr and to Clarkson. He looked up and his delightful through ball fell into the path of Cork-Dove who sprung the off-side trap perfectly, he then beat the keeper to the ball before rounding him and slipping the ball into an empty net to level the score at 2-2.

He was then duly mobbed by his team-mates as relief swept across the team.

The full-time whistle blew and 15 minutes each way extra-time was played.

Purves, Storr and Sneap had opportunities to score but Goldsborough had their chances as well.

The game finished 2-2 and both sides will feel they had chances to win it. This was an excellent derby match with both teams going for the win.

On the day there were number of good performances but Fishburn’s man of the match was Jack Idle – gave his all on the day, never gave up in defence and showed some excellent skills, strength, pace and determination in attack.

Goldsborough FC U13 2 Fishburn Park U13 2