Newlands dig deep for win at Hunmanby

A depleted Newlands Park were forced to work hard for a 4-3 win in Scarborough News Saturday league division one at Hunmanby United on Wednesday night, while Edgehill also maintained their 100 per cent start with a 6-0 home win against Ayton thanks to Ricky Greening’s five-goal blast.

Wednesday, 10th September 2014, 11:17 pm

Champions Newlands Park headed to Hunmanby without seven first-team players and their manager Shaun Mancrief, but stand-in boss Dave Gaddass managed to steer his side to their third win in three games, despite a late revival from the home side.

The visitors got off to the perfect start with Sean Exley opening the scoring after only two minutes and central midfielder Adam Stride netted four minutes later to double Park’s advantage.

United pulled a goal back after the break, but Exley’s second, a storming first-time volley from 30 yards, restored their two-goal lead but Park then suffered a double injury blow as Chris Dove (twisted knee) and Exley (wrist) were both forced to leave the field of play.

Stride’s second goal looked to have put the result beyond doubt but United hit back with two goals to set up a nervy finale for the champions but they held on for what may prove to be a crucial win.

Gaddass singled out left-back Hughie Brown, Stride and right-back Johnny Manson as the star players for Newlands.

There was late drama in the game at Filey Town’s Clarence Drive ground with Westover Wasps earning a 3-3 draw thanks to a equaliser with the final kick of the game from Jordan Shaw.

Two goals in the opening 20 minutes from in-form Filey striker James Pinder, both set up by fine play from right-sided midfielder Ricky Tomlinson, looked to have put Town in charge.

The home side missed further chances to extend their lead and the Wasps made them pay when five minutes before half-time Shaw’s cross was met by a bullet header from 16-year-old wing-back Josh Young.

This seemed to lift Wasps and they levelled 20 minutes into the second half with a thumping 20-yard shot from sub Curtis Rose, the skipper catching his shot perfectly after a throw from Ryan Matson.

Five minutes later Pinder then turned provider for strike partner Cameron Dobson as Filey went back in front.

With the final move of the match and with everyone up for a corner, including the keeper, player-boss Jamie Heritage, who had come on as a sub, headed the ball towards goal and Shaw blazed in from four yards, the shot fizzing into the net off the crossbar.

Heritage hailed his whole team for battling back from a sluggish first-half display to earn a point at Filey, while Town boss Jay Taylor singled out Pinder for his two goals and one assist.

Ricky Greening’s five goals helped Edgehill to a 6-0 home success against Ayton.

Danny Collins also netted for the hosts, with new signings from Pickering Town, Liam Salt, who played in goal, and Dean Craig making their debuts in a great team display.

Scalby surged to the top of division two with a hard-earned 5-3 win at Newlands Park Reserves.

James Tadman opened the scoring for the hosts after just five minutes with a low shot, but Richard Brice’s 25-yard shot, which cannoned in off the bar and the keeper, levelled the scores in the 20th minute.

The visitors took the lead after the break when Ben Webster made a strong run down the right wing and his cross was headed in by Shaun Scales.

Daniel Gregory’s side went 3-1 ahead through a Darren Arnot penalty and then made it 4-1 when Mikey Hartnett broke free to score and continue his impressive start to the season.

Newlands then came back into the game thanks to goals from Stu Bates and man of the match Sam Chambers.

The home team were then reduced to 10 men when player-boss Joe Hakings was sent off, but the hosts refused to submit and pushed for a leveller but it proved to be their undoing when Karl Hansell headed clear from his own half and Hartnett, with the home keeper having pushed up for a setpiece, rolled the ball into an empty net from 40 yards out.

Young right-back Brandon Catherall was the Scalby man of the match once again.

Whitby RUFC claimed their opening win of the season in style, hammering visitors Snainton 8-0.

New signing from Whitby Town Ben Sullivan opened the scoring in the first minute, racing down the left wing before cutting inside to plant his shot into the bottom right corner of the net.

Sullivan then set up Marc Usher four minutes later to make it 2-0 and another Sullivan assist provided Usher with chance to force in his second from close range.

A corner, also fired in by Sullivan , was headed in by defender Dave Welham to make it 4-0 to Whitby at half-time.

Another new recruit, Jordan Purvis, who has joined from Fishburn Park’s Teesside League team, then created the chance for Paul Jobling to fire in from 15 yards.

Chad Swales’ glancing headed made it 6-0 and Jobling’s good approach play and cross then forced an own goal by a Snainton defender, with man of the match Usher completing his hat-trick with a lob after fine build-up play from sub Ben Hoggarth.

Sullivan pushed Usher close for the man of the match award.

West Pier Reserves are in third place after a 2-0 home win against FC Rosette.

Ali Caw opened the scoring for Ray Thorpe’s side, after chasing down a back pass and beating the goalkeeper to the ball.

Will Garnett then fired in from Mikey Barker’s pass before half-time.

Defender Steve Paxton was man of the match for Pier.

Duchess came back from 1-0 down to claim their first win of the season, a 5-3 triumph at Athletico2B.

Ben David marked his return to the hosts’ line-up with the first goal, after only five minutes, but five minutes later Nick Bell’s composed finish levelled the scores.

Ian Laing put Duchess ahead in the 25th minute with a fierce rising shot into the roof of the net and an own goal put the visitors 3-1 ahead by the break.

Ten minutes into the second half Tim Jackson bundled the ball home and man of the match Bell’s second strike looked to have made the game safe for the away team.

Centre-back Sam Medd then curled in a stunning shot from 20 yards for his first goal for the club, and an own goal gave the hosts hope of a late revival but Duchess held on for the win.

Cayton Corinthians fought back from 2-0 and 3-1 down to earn a 3-3 home draw against Edgehill Reserves.

An overhead kick from Paul I’Anson from a corner by left-winger Keith Skelton put Edgehill ahead early on and shortly after another Skelton pass set Kieran Grzesiowski free to make it 2-0.

Josh Venner’s goal pulled it back to 2-1 but Martyn Ferrey’s free-kick then made it 3-1 to the visitors.

Cayton stepped up a gear after the break and pulled it back to 3-2 through Ash Durham’s header and their pressure paid off when an Edgehill defender fired the ball into his own net to give the sides a share of the spoils.

Defender Harry Clark was man of the match for Cayton with the midfield trio of Scott Davison, Durham and Micky Dennis running him close.

Skelton was the star man for the visitors.