Lingdale remain top after beating Lealholm

Things at the top of the Eskvale and Cleveland League table are changing on a weekly basis with a lot of the teams proving they can beat any opposition on any given day.

Last Saturday saw Lingdale United entertain Lealholm and a home victory by a three goal margin was enough to send United top.

Staithes recorded a narrow victory over Stokesley Sports Club while Hollybush United slipped to their first defeat of the season as they lost at home to Boosbeck United.

Lingdale and Lealholm produced the normal hard fought game that usually occurs between these two.

The home side led 3-1 in the first half with Tom Raw scoring from the penalty spot for Lealholm.

The second half followed the same pattern with Lingdale scoring two more while Sam Crooks replied for Lealholm.

Luke Johnson scored twice for the home side with Anthony Jones, Andy Smith and Michael Woodhouse also on target.

Staithes Athletic visited Stokesley Sports Club and shocked the home side as they opened the scoring in the first minute.

The visitors battled hard but were reduced to 10 men before the interval.

However, this didn’t prevent them from adding a second goal in a hard fought encounter.

The second half saw Stokesley use the numerical advantage and they pulled a goal back when Isaac White scored from the penalty spot after a home forward was brought down by the keeper.

Stokesley continued to press for an equaliser and came close as the game entered the last five minutes, but the Staithes keeper made a good save as the visitors held on to maintain their unblemished start to the season.

Hollybush United entertained Boosbeck United in a close game with Ryan Thompson opening the scoring from the penalty spot on the half hour to put the home side in front.

With the interval approaching Liam Raw brought the sides level with a header at the back post.

Five minutes into the second half, Luke Weed put the hosts back in front and they then went on to create plenty of chances, without adding to the score.

Boosbeck continued to battle and they shocked the home side as they twice caught them on the counter-attack with Simon Daynes converting a penalty after Hollybush conceded a foul in the penalty area.

Danny Walton converted to put the visitors in front.

The home side then put pressure on Boosbeck as they fought for an equaliser but the visitors held firm to grab three vital points as the home side slipped to third.

Loftus Athletic moved up to fourth after their defeat of local rivals Hinderwell.

The home side went into a two-goal first half lead but Dan Stonehouse pulled a goal back for Hinderwell early in the second half.

This spurred Loftus back into action and as they pushed forward they looked stronger as the game went on and added four more goals to take maximum points.

Lewis Peel and Carl Gray both bagged a brace while Adam Winspear and Rob Jones also scored.

Great Ayton United entertained Goldsborough United with the home side showing better form of late while the visitors are in freefall after a promising start.

Goldsborough were quick out of the blocks as they went into a two-goal lead through Dean Sanderson and Carl Harris. Gradually the hosts got back into the game and Drew Johnson reduced the deficit on the half-hour.

Five minutes into the second half Great Ayton were level when Flynn Johnson scored and the turnaround was complete when Michael Lamb added a third, decisive goal.

The game was even with both sides having chances but the home side just came out on top as they moved up two places in the table.