Lingdale bounce back into second place

Lingdale United bounced back from last week’s defeat by beating Goldsborough United to move back into second place in the Eskvale and Cleveland League.

They have played more games than leaders Hollybush and third placed Staithes, who both remain unbeaten.

An even first half saw both sides play their part in an open game, which turned in the last five minutes of the first half as Lingdale scored twice.

Lingdale took full advantage as the home heads dropped and they added three further goals in the second half as they got on top.

Gavin Croll scored twice with Andy Smith, Luke Johnson and Mikey Willans scoring for Lingdale.

In the North Riding Saturday Challenge Cup, five of the league’s representatives made it into the second round with only Hinderwell falling at the first fence.

Stokesley Sports Club visited Athletico 2B and came away with a comfortable victory in a one sided game.

Lealholm travelled to play Brooklyn and fell behind after just seven minutes.

The visitors battled to get back into the game and Jack Boddy equalised seven minutes before half-time when he received the ball on the edge of the penalty area and was allowed time and space to turn before firing home.

The game was close and midway through the second half, the visitors had a free-kick which the home side failed to deal with and the ball fell for Darren Harland who stooped to head home and put the visitors in front.

With ten minutes remaining, Duncan Marson picked the ball up on the left of the penalty area and drifted back across the area before shooting across the keeper and sending Lealholm into the next round.

Staithes Athletic were another team to win on their travels as they visited Unicorn and came away with victory after scoring the only goal of the game. Staithes found it difficult against a well-organised and physical side but Jordan Cane grabbed the only goal of the game in the second half.

Hinderwell entertained Tockwith and went behind in the first half to a long-range effort. The visitors extended their lead before Greg Lewis reduced the deficit for Hinderwell. But a defensive mix-up almost straight away saw Tockwith restore their two-goal lead and as Hinderwell looked to get back into the game, they conceded a fourth before Jamie Waters scored a consolation goal.