Last-gasp goal sinks Blues

Ste Snaith scores Whitby's 2nd goal against Scarborough Athletic'picture: Brian Murfield
Ste Snaith scores Whitby's 2nd goal against Scarborough Athletic'picture: Brian Murfield
Share this article

A last-gasp goal brought a disappointing end to Whitby Town’s pre-season campaign and this seven-goal coastal derby, on Saturday.

Blues player-boss Darren Williams handed a debut to former Newcastle United winger Adam Rundle (29), just a week before the big kick-off in the Evo-Stik NPL Premier, while newly-signed centre-half Lee Bullock missed out for family reasons.

The visitors included ex-Blues Josh Greening, Tony Hackworth and Ryan Blott in their ranks, with new signings from North Ferriby United, Paul Foot and Gary Bradshaw, also featuring.

There was delight for the home supporters as Town led inside two minutes, when Nathan Mulligan looped a 25-yard free-kick over Jack Bentley and into the net.

But Blues let Rudy Funk’s Scarborough back into the game, on 12 minutes, as Kev Burgess’ short backpass was pounced on by the pacey Louis Clarkson, who slotted past Shane Bland.

Craig Farrell and Graeme Armstrong came close, but it was the First Division South side who netted for the second time, four minutes from half-time. Skipper Brian Hughes’ long run ended with the perfect ball for Clarkson to turn home in his stride.

Bland then blocked with his legs, at the near post, from Hughes and recovered well after the recently-introduced Blott rounded him, but dwelled on the ball, allowing the keeper to get back and fall on it.

In between, Town should have levelled as Bentley flapped twice at Mulligan’s lofted cross, but Farrell sidefooted over, with the debutant keeper stranded.

Whitby’s defence again slept, though, on the hour, and Greening was left free to finish a neat one-touch passing move.

The introduction of Steven Snaith seemed to buoy the Seasiders, who reduced the arrears with 20 minutes left, Rundle firing invitingly across the six yard box for the former Hartlepool striker to slam in.

Then, as Whitby took the ascendancy, another substitute struck to level the scores, 16 minutes from time.

A first-time sidefoot, from the left-edge of the area, brought the Blues’ third, courtesy of Shane Henry.

Henry then headed over Tom Portas’ cross, but the crucial strike came from the away side.

In the final minute, James Bennett popped up to slot home, from close range.

Whitby Town: Bland, Hassan, Robinson (c), Burgess (James 71), Pell, Portas, Rundle (Evans 73), McTiernan, Armstrong (Snaith 64), Farrell (Dixon 77), Mulligan(Henry 65). Subs not used: Cook (GK), Williams.

Scarborough Athletic: Bentley, Middleton, Plummer, Milne, Denton, Bennett, Collishaw, Bolder, Clarkson, Hughes (c), Greening. Subs: Foot, Blott, Hackworth, Ridley, Bradshaw, Clarke.

Attendance: 313

Whitby Town 3 Scarborough Athletic 4