Hazel hits two as Whitby Town bag 2-1 win over Morpeth Town

Whitby Town responded to their Yorkshire Coast derby defeat with victory in a North-East derby with Morpeth Town in an ill-tempered affair at the Towbar Express Stadium.

Monday, 26th October 2020, 12:09 pm
Updated Monday, 26th October 2020, 12:14 pm
The Blues celebrate one of Jacob Hazel's two goals in their win over Morpeth. Picture: Brian Murfield

Both sides ended the game men short, with Whitby seeing Adam Gell dismissed after an altercation with Carl Finnigan and Morpeth seeing Jack Foalle sent off late in the game after receiving his second yellow card.

The visitors were already down to ten at the time after an injury to Jeffrey Henderson with all three substitutions made.

Morpeth began the brightest of the two sides and were awarded a soft penalty on 12 minutes after Jonathan Burn supposedly pushed Liam Henderson.

Fortunately for the Blues, Finnigan’s spot-kick was a shocker with Town keeper Shane Bland simply having to fall on the ball to collect it.

Bland was then integral to Whitby going ahead as following his penalty save, he released the ball downfield where it eventually arrived at the feet of Jacob Hazel who then cut inside before curling the ball into the bottom corner of Daniel Lowson’s net with 14 minutes played.

The Seasiders went two up 20 minutes later and it was Hazel again causing the problems when he received a square pass from Bradley Fewster.

Despite a challenge from Christopher Reid, the ball fell kindly for Hazel to slot into an empty net.

The game took a sour turn on 72 minutes when Gell caught teased into a reaction following an off the ball incident with Finnigan.

Despite having a tight hold of Gell’s leg, the Whitby man was punished for trying to break free with the officials deeming that the midfielder had kicked out at the Morpeth man who made the most of it.

To be fair to the Blues, they continued to restrict Morpeth to few chances but the Highwaymen did get a goal back as substitute Ryan Hutchinson fired into the goal following another soft free-kick given by referee Samuel Packer.

The ten men of Whitby won a penalty of their own with two minutes of normal time to play when Bradley Mills used some theatrics of his own, however this time the man in the middle gave a decision Whitby’s way.

But Hazel was denied his hat-trick as Lowson tipped his spot-kick around the post.

With the clock ticking down, the away side then had Foalle dismissed as he dragged Hazel to the ground.

This was the second season in a row that the Morpeth striker has been sent off at the Turnbull Ground after coming on as a second half substitute.

Those in attendance on Saturday afternoon enjoyed an entertaining, if not controversial, match in what was a great advert for non-league football.

WHITBY TOWN: Bland, Ible, Sukar, Gell, Burn, Rowe (C), Heaney (Mills 65), Hawkins, Fewster (Giles 75), Hazel, Cooke (Martin 58). Subs not used: Ritson, Suddick

GAZETTE STAR MAN: Jacob Hazel - bagged himself a brace and was a real handful for the Morpeth defence. Whitby’s top scorer was unfortunate not to get his hat-trick late on.