Fylingdales FC into first cup final

Filey v Fylingdales.Midfield action.Pic Rich Ponter 141361c
Filey v Fylingdales.Midfield action.Pic Rich Ponter 141361c

Fylingdales Football Club flew into their first cup final since the reformation of the club in an epic battle on Sunday.

A depleted and weary FFC showed great teamwork and strength to win a place in the Senior Cup final to be played at Scarborough’s plush Rugby Club.

Filey v Fylingdales.Fylingdales take a shot..Pic Rich Ponter 141361a

Filey v Fylingdales.Fylingdales take a shot..Pic Rich Ponter 141361a

Preparation for the Robin Hood’s Bay side had been challenged by a number of key injuries, bans and the limitations of the cup players rules. This meant FFC started with only 11 players, missing captain Tommy Gray (suspended), inspirational midfielder Mark Waterfield (injured), Lewis Peel (injured) and a playing staff which included their manager. Neil Brearley returned between the posts.

The nine-goal thriller began in the first minute when FFC failed to clear the ball and Filey capitalised.

It took only minutes for FFC to equalise when Jake Faichney powered down the wing, skipping past three defenders before launching a low cross which was met by a flying Simon Forde header.

This was the first glimpse of the attacking force of Forde and Faichney with wing support from Barry Heyes and Jamie Wassell.

Filey v FylingdalesPic Rich Ponter 141361f

Filey v FylingdalesPic Rich Ponter 141361f

Flyers made more of their chances in the first half, scoring on 15 minutes and then again on 35 with an excellent flick and volley that deflected in off the cross bar.

Even at 3-1 down, FFC heads did not drop and classy defender Paul Watson revitalised the side. Watson strode up the battlefield to fire home an unstoppable bullet header into the top corner.

Spurred on by the goal and an inspirational words from sidelined skipper Gray at half-time, FFC shook off their knocks and returned to take control of the epic battle.

Two minutes into the second half, Faichney forced a free-kick 35 yards out. Scorer of four goals last week, in-form Lee Brennan stepped up and sweetly struck a swerving thunderbolt that nearly broke the Filey net to bring the match back to 3-3.

Filey were stunned and FFC capitalised when relentless pressure led to an own-goal and for the first time FFC were leading in the game.

Filey responded with waves of attacks. Brought back to left back due to his defensive abilities, Jamie Agar fought well while Paul Watcon and Rich Storey let nothing through the centre.

A stream of corners went close but a strong Filey side were met by a fantastic performance by Brearley who cositently kept FFC in the game.

Filey’s pressure paid off when a dribbling run led to an equaliser and with 10 minutes to go, both team nervously contemplating penalties.

But this was a Dales’ day though and the combination of team effort, sparkling attack and a man of the match performance from Brearley,there was only one team going to win.

In the final minutes the versatile Tom Hodgeson burst up the right wing and his crossed was flicked on by Paddy Chandler to Brennan running in. Brennan slotted the ball home hard and low to seal a memorable victory and take FFC to their first final in decades.

FFC thank the fans that supported the team last Sunday and expect a good turnout for the cup final on Sunday April 20 at Scarborough Rugby Club, against Trafalgar, from the passionate Bay community.

A travel package is available to all fans to travel with the team and enjoy celebrating the day out. Please see Fylingdales Football Club on Facebook for more information.

Match ball sponsor: Rob Hopper Drylining.

Fylingdales FC 5 Filey Flyers 4