FOOTBALL ROUND-UP: Fishermens well beaten by Bedale in D&G Trophy

North Riding Football League first division leaders Bedale sealed a 4-1 win at Whitby Fishermens Society in their D&G Trophy quarter-final.

Thursday, 12th April 2018, 12:33 pm
Updated Thursday, 12th April 2018, 12:41 pm
Veteran gloveman Paul Cull sends the ball upfield

It took until the 41st minute for the visitors to break the deadlock at the Mulgrave Sports Field.

Dan Baxter was the man on target as the breakthroughs arrived within seconds of each other, thanks to the impressive Ross Hodgson.

The Dale star notched twice in as many minutes just after the re-start to put the away side in control.

Substitute Callum Dale rolls the ball into the net, but his strike was a mere consolation for Whitby Fishermens Society. Pictures by Brian Murfield

Callum Dale pulled one back for the hosts, but Baxter’s second put the gloss on it 10 minutes from time.

Fishburn Park lost a thriller at Grangetown in the Premier Division.

The hosts, who are fighting for their lives at the other end of the table, edged a classic 4-3.

Dean Jones, the in-form Mark Ward, Paul Jack and Jack Corner notched for the Boys Club, while their Whitby visitors replied through Nathan Storr’s brace and Joe Crowther’s goal.

Substitute Callum Dale rolls the ball into the net, but his strike was a mere consolation for Whitby Fishermens Society. Pictures by Brian Murfield

Park bounced back on Wednesday night when goals from Nathan Storr (2) and Mikey Kilpatrick helped them to a 3-0 win at St Marys 1947.

Stockton West End edged a closely-run clash at Staithes Athletic 3-2.

Michael McLaughlin, Josh Haley and Carl Williams were on target for West End.

The only Beckett League first division game played on Saturday was at Lealholm, who entertained Heslerton.

Lealholm made a perfect start, scoring three goals in the opening nine minutes and going on to win the game 4-1.

Tom While opened the scoring with his first-ever goal for the Tigers after three minutes, which came via an unstoppable 25-yard shot.

Two minutes later Sam Russell lobbed the visitors’ keeper Gareth Driver from 18 yards and the third goal arrived in the ninth minute via Jaime Nicholson’s superb header following a Russell corner which was flicked on.

Shaun Suffield scored for Heslerton.

The second half saw Driver make several excellent saves from Sam Bailey, but in the 78th minute Soni Fergus sent a 20-yard right-footed curling effort into the top-corner to restore his side’s three-goal advantage.

Man of the match was Loui Fergus at left-back.

Sleights are now just one win away from promotion from Division Two at the first attempt after an 8-0 victory at strugglers Aislaby on Monday night, which followed back-to-back 6-0 wins against Gillamoor on Saturday.

After defeating them in cup action also it was a third victory over the bottom club, based in Pickering for Sam Leadley and Ed Turner’s men.

Both youngster Will Cork-Dove and winger Luke Jackson helped themselves to hat-tricks. It was Cork-Dove’s second treble in three games.

Midfielder James Fawcett also found the net as did man of the match right-back Chris Warrior, who also set up five of the other goals.

The only low point for the visitors was a red card for Robbie Hurworth, who retaliated.

Sleights’ man of the match was Warrior.

Sleights beat Gillamoor 6-0 twice in their double header on Saturday.

In the first half of a Caedmon College double header, the hosts had just an early Will Cork-Dove goal to show for their efforts before the break, after some terrific point-blank blocks from the Gillamoor goalkeeper.

Early in the second period, skipper Charlie Smith doubled Sleights’ advantage with an acrobatic overhead kick.

Cork-Dove turned home Chris Hurworth’s testing right-wing cross and soon had his treble with a confident drive.

Substitute Joe Hugill, on for the injured Theo Clarke, then hammered into the top-corner after latching onto Smith’s through-ball.

Hugill later made it six as Ed Turner and Sam Leadley’s men eased to victory.

Sleights then completed a quickfire return with another 6-0 victory.

They led on 15 minutes when Charlie Smith’s cross-shot deflected off his marker and wrong-footed the unlucky keeper at his near post.

Joe Hugill then crashed home a speedy brace to take the home side into the break with a comfortable advantage. Smith then took over after the interval, with a terrific treble to take the skipper’s tally to four goals in two games.

Sleights will be promoted to the Beckett League first division with victory at Heslerton Reserves on Saturday and take the Division Two title with four points from their last three games.

Sam Leadley and Ed Turner’s side then travel to Thornton Dale Reserves on Monday evening.

Goldsborough powered to an 11-1 home win against Old Vic in Division Two of the Scarborough & District Saturday League.

Ben Watson led the way with four goals, Tommy Jobling also notching a hat-trick.

Efforts from Jonathan Morrison, Dave Carmody, Mike Dent and an own goal completed the rout.

Fishburn Park Reserves lost 2-1 at Commercial.

The home side went ahead early on when Luke Priestley tapped home from close-range after a shot from Michael Hernandez landed at his feet.

Midway through the second half Hernandez smashed in to double their lead.

Paul Jobling’s long-range lob came too late to save Park, whose man of the match was centre-back Andrew Kelly.

Newlands eased to an 8-2 home Scarborough & District Sunday League Division One win against Fylingdales to keep the pressure on the top two of Trafalgar and Angel.

Ben Luntley led the way with a hat-trick for the home side, with Aiden Thomas (2), Mikey Anderson, Stew Bates and a 30-yard strike from Liam Cooper completing the scoring for Newlands.

Young right-back Ben Dolan was their man of the match, while keeper Adam Quilter and teenage midfielder Beck also shone for Joe Hakings’ team.

Adam Crookes scored the first for Dales with a cracking strike and then Simon Forde’s breakaway effort had pulled it back to 3-2 at one point.