Five weeks off, but Whitby side back in groove

A decision is discussed with the ref'picture: Alan Wastell
A decision is discussed with the ref'picture: Alan Wastell

Whitby RFC returned to action after a five-week absence and hit six in a performance hailed by boss, Ste Mothersdale.

The rustiness showed in the first 15 as Cayton controlled the game and had a glorious chance to take the lead.

Whitby Rugby Club return to action against Cayton'picture: Alan Wastell

Whitby Rugby Club return to action against Cayton'picture: Alan Wastell

Dave Welham was ruled to have pushed a striker in the back after a long ball into the box and referee Nigel Trotter pointed straight to the spot.

Rugby Club looked to Sam Gale to keep the scores level as he has proved to be a great penalty stopper but the effort was blazed well over the bar and wasted.

This was the wake-up call for Rugby Club as they responded in devastating fashion, almost killing the game in a ten-minute period.

Ben Hogarth wriggled past his man, playing Jobling in down the right who beat his man, raced to the by-line and pulled across goal for Damon Craig sliding in to make it 1-0.

Two minutes later it was two when a Craig through ball released Jobling who ran into the area, rounded the keeper and scored his 21st goal of the season.

And just two minutes later it was 3-0 as Mikey Kilpatrick was put in down the right, raced into the area and lifted over the keeper.

Jobling was unlucky not to make it four straightaway but Rugby Club did not have to wait long as Marc Usher, on just inside the area, held his man off and drilled a shot across the keeper for 4-0.

Cayton dragged a goal back soon after the break as a free-kick from the right was headed in at the far post, but the four-goal margin was restored straight away when a Jobling corner was met at the back post by Hogarth who stabbed home.

Rugby Club made three changes as the five-week lay-off way took its toll and brought fresh legs on with Crabtree, Mark Ross and Dan Smith replacing tricky winger Hogarth, the tireless Richardson and the energetic Inglis.

Some sloppy defending allowed Cayton to pull a goal back before another Jobling corner was met by Smith, side footing home to score his first goal for the club.

Kilpatrick, Usher, Jobling and Swales all had chances to extend the lead but it was cayton who finished the scoring.

A slip by a Rugby Club defender was picked up by a Cayton midfielder who sent a long shot into the top corner from distance.

Boss Ste Mothersdale said: “I’m delighted to finally get back into league action as we’re a few games behind with the league failing to get us referees on several occasions, which is very frustrating.

“We’re stop-start all the time whereas teams around us are playing every week and having match fitness.

“This was our first game in five weeks and it showed in patches but fair play to that group of lads, they respond to everything.

“It’s in our own hands and we just have keep taking each game at a time.

“The back three were superb and Paul Jobling is in great form with 21 goals and couple of assists every week.”

Damon Craig was RFC’s man of the match – he was everywhere and broke the deadlock which opened the floodgates early on.

Whitby RFC 6 Cayton Corinthians 3