Fishermen’s stun unbeaten league leaders

WHITBY Fishermen’s caused a major cup upset when they dumped unbeaten Edgehill FC - a side two divisions above them - out of the League Cup quarter-final.

Playing at Staxton on a wide, uneven surface, this was always going to be an open game of football.

Edgehill started the stronger with their quick passing game starting to give Fishermen’s problems, requiring Scales to roll back the years with several fine saves.

With the back four of Bailey, Kelly, Cleever and Lund soaking up the Edgehill pressure, Fishermen’s got up to the pace of the game and on 25 minutes, opened the scoring. The ball was won by Lund in midfield who played a fine ball out wide for Karl Storr to take in his stride and wrongfoot the keeper for the opening goal.

The midfield of Scaife, Storr, Hart and Goldsmith were getting on top and creating chances for the hard-working Mark Swales and much-improved Magill, who was using his physical presence well.

However, on half-time, Scales preserved Fishermen’s lead when he tipped a stinging 25-yard shot onto the crossbar and out for a corner.

The second half started off much the same as the first with both teams pressing, but Edgehill were awarded a penalty after a trip in the box which they converted to level the score at 1-1.

The large pitch was beginning to take its toll and Fishermen’s introduced the evergreen Winspear in place of the injured Magill to add pace and work rate to the midfield.

Both teams pressed hard for a second and it was Fishermen’s who found the net when Cleever converted a Goldsmith cross at the back post, only to be ruled out by a dubious decision from the linesman. Extra time was needed to separate the two teams.

Fishermen’s when skipper Scaife succumbed to cramp and he was carried off and replaced by Sam Leadley, who put in a solid performance.

Five minutes into the second half of extra-time, Fishermen’s finally got the breakthrough they deserved.

Winspear sprang to life, breaking down the play on the edge of his own box and following a lung-busting run, popped up in the box to slot home an excellent cros,s crafted out by the skilful Goldsmith who beat numerous players before delivering a killer ball.

Edgehill threw everything they had at Fishermen’s in the last 10 minutes but the Whitby side held firm for a well-deserved win.

This was an excellent all-round team performance but Scales was awarded man of the match for a fine goalkeeping display.

Edgehill 1 Fishermen’s 2 AET