Fishburn youngsters gets hands on trophy at last

Ayton Athletic v Fishburn park u13 Schneider Electric cup
Ayton Athletic v Fishburn park u13 Schneider Electric cup
Share this article

FISHBURN Park won the Schneider Electric Cup final against their fiercest rivals Ayton FC.

The teams were playing against each other for the fourth time this season with Park seeking their first win.

The management team of Dave Pike and Paul Hewison set up the side slightly differently to previous weeks with Spencer Hewison starting the game wearing the gloves. Harry Purves was restored to his favoured position of right wing with Will Cork-Dove playing as striker.

From the off, Fishburn played attacking football and were aggressive in defence. The Whitby side nearly scored after five minutes when a corner swung into the box found Liam Clarkson but his shot was well saved.

The first goal was nothing more than Fishburn deserved. Purves swung in a superb corner that landed around the penalty spot, Sneap was on it in an instant and a superbly struck volley smashed the back of the net for his 30th goal of the season, being congratulated by every member of the team.

The goal seemed to gel Fishburn and they were dictating the tempo of the game as Ayton struggled to get out of their own half. The second goal was down to a magical run by Chester Adamski from left back.

His pace skinned three would-be tacklers before he passed the ball onto Nathan Storr who beat another two players before the ball found Purves, to curl the ball from 30 yards out over the keeper.

Storr then had a shot from distance but the ball just whistled past the post.

Pike hit a sweet 30-yard volley that flew a yard over the bar.

The second half saw the introduction of Jack Idle on the right and Purves move up front. Fishburn were enjoying themselves, nearly getting the third goal after some great interplay by Sneap and Shrimpton set Clarkson away but the keeper was quick off his line to smother the shot.

Stokoe and Lightwing were winning everything in the air and some nice inter-passing between the two and the ball found its way to the influential Storr. His skill and speed left the right back for dead but his cross was a little too high for Sneap.

Pike lined up a free-kick 30 yards out but his shot went wide. Charles Brown took over the gloves in goal with Hewison moving into midfield with the hard-working Sneap taking a well-earned breather on the side-lines.

Hewison was involved straight away, a well-timed slide tackle won the ball and his quick pass set Purves away, his shot 12 yards out hit the on-rushing keepers shoulder and it hit the inside of the post before bouncing out.

Although Fishburn were attacking the Ayton goal at will, there was a feeling the third goal the team deserved would never come. Cork-Dove came back on for the last 10 minutes to add some more fire power and although his snapshot surprised the keeper it was just wide of the target. The team played right to the final whistle and apart from a smart punch out by Brown near the end Ayton never looked like scoring.

The final whistle blew and the crowd were euphoric. This was Fishburn’s fourth cup final in five years and at last they had their hands on the trophy. Skipper Sam Pike picked up the trophy as the team celebrated a fantastic win.

Man of the match – all the players were first rate working hard for each other, celebrating goals as a team and encouraging each other throughout the game. Every player gave their all and showed real determination to win the game.

Fishburn Park U13s 2 Ayton U13s 0