Fishburn teens hit cup final rivals for six


FISHBURN Park under 14s won their second trophy of the season after hammering Kirkbymoorside in the final of the Schneider League Cup, 12 days after beating them in the District Cup final.

Fishburn were red hot out of the blocks and passing the ball around nicely. Luke Stokoe dealt with anything that came near the defensive line confident that his centre partner Harry Lightwing would be sweeping up behind.

A good ball from Spencer Hewison was sprayed out right to Tom Shrimpton, but his out swinging cross was punched away by the keeper.

Three minutes in and a lovely long pass by Jay Stonehouse found Harry Purves, his perfect lobbed pass beat the Kirkby backline and Shrimpton was away. The keeper came off his line but an inch perfect lob from the edge of the box found the back of the net.

Four minutes later, Liam Clarkson showed some trickery to beat three players before being cynically fouled. Nathan Storr lined up the free-kick 30 yards out and beat the four-man wall and the keeper to double the lead.

Kirkby did break the offside trap but Dan Jinks denied the striker with a great save low down to his right.

His long throw set Fishburn on the attack again and Sam Pike sprayed a lovely ball wide to Shrimpton and he was away again. He skinned the left back with a lovely bit of skill before a lobbing the keeper from an acute angle.

Fishburn were in dreamland - everything they tried was working, Hewison and Storr worked some space with some nice interplay before the ball was put into the box. The Kirkby back four were in panic mode, the ball bounced away from goal but Clarkson’s over-head kick found Purves unmarked and his excellent glanced header eluded the keeper and defenders on the line to find the far corner.

Pike beat a couple of tackles and after making some space in the box his shot fizzed over.

Bryn Kirby and Jack Idle came off the bench 10 minutes before half-time. Hewison and Pike waltzed through the midfield before finding Clarkson in the box but his shot hit an on-rushing defender. The energetic Kirby was quickest to react and he finished in emphatic style by smashing the ball past the stranded keeper to make it 5-0.

Stonehouse made a great run from deep but his shot was charged down on the edge of the box.

The second-half was unlikely to live up to the first and Kirkby came out determined to show some pride.

Purves hit a fantastic shot that rattled the bar. Adamski and Storr were linking up down the left and they carved open some room for Hewison but his shot went just wide. Kirby skinned the defence before his cross found Idle on the penalty spot, he turned two players inside out to angle a shot and as he pulled the trigger the ball was taken away from him at the last second.

Lightwing’s cross field ball found Storr on the left and he hit a 40-yard ball to Purves who spotted the keeper just off the line and a great hit looped over the keeper for his second of the game.

Kirkby broke away again but Jinks wanted a clean sheet and he made another great save, this time with his legs. Stokoe was carrying the ball out with real intent to make some ground and he ran 40 yards, beating a number of would-be tacklers before finding Clarkson just inside the box.

He was hacked down from behind, leaving Purves a chance to claim his hat-trick with the last kick of the game.

Unfortunately, the keeper guessed right and saved the spot kick. The team, management and crowd celebrated Fishburn’s second piece of silverware this season as skipper Pike raised aloft the Schneider League Cup Trophy.

All 13 players were brilliant but man of the match was Tom Shrimpton - terrorised the Kirkby defence, inch perfect delivery and two early goals set the platform for an emphatic victory.

Fishburn Park U14s 6 Kirkbymoorside U14s 0