Fishburn’s rivals walk off in fury at ref’s decision

Share this article

FISHBURN Park under 12s got back to winning ways although the match was marred by a lack of sportsmanship and respect from the opposition.

The game had a bit of a scrappy start with neither team being able to hold onto much possession, although Fishburn were a lot stronger in the attacking third and put Cayton under pressure with a number of good corners.

The Cayton keeper made a number of great saves including one from an excellent Entwistle free-kick which saw him at full stretch.

Fishburn also hit the bar when Jack Gale latched onto a corner and sent his shot goalwards over the keeper only to be denied by the woodwork.

The deadlock was finally broken when Callum Halley sent a corner into the box.

Although the ball was cleared, it came back out to Halley who crossed towards the back post and on to the foot of Owen Grant to score.

Five minutes later, the lead was doubled when Jack Kipling made a superb run towards the area, only to be tripped by a defender just outside the box in a central position.

Jamie Entwistle stepped up and sent a brilliant free-kick over the wall and the keeper into the back of the net.

With the last kick of the half Cayton made their first dart into the box, and although keeper and defender seemed to have it covered, the striker went down and a penalty was awarded.

This was well-taken leaving Purvis in goal with no chance for 2-1 at the break.

The second half started well for Fishburn and they immediately attacked the opposition goal.

They were unlucky not to take the lead when Kieran Locker sent a great shot towards the goal, only to see it rebound back off the bar. Not long after, the goal arrived when a Kipling shot rebounded back to Locker who this time made no mistake in finishing from close range, scoring his first goal for Park.

Cayton refused to give up and managed to get themselves back into the game when a lapse in concentration allowed them too much time and space and a looping shot from out wide crept in over the top of Purvis.

The remainder of the game became quite tense although Fishburn continued to pile on the pressure.

With about five minutes to go, Halley made a darting run into the box, tracked by a few defenders.

Although the ball may have gone out of play for a corner, Cayton continued to play on; the clearance only made it as far as Kipling who turned the ball goalwards, making it 4-2.

Cayton disagreed with the referee’s decision and the team was pulled off of the pitch, leaving the referee with no choice but to abandon the game. This was a real shame as up to this point, it had been an enjoyable game to watch.

Man of the match: Marcus Atkinson - very solid defending throughout the game.

Fishburn Park U12s 4 Cayton U12s 2