Fishburn claim derby delight against rivals Fishermen

Fishburn Park and Whitby Fishermens Society do battle. Pictures by Brian Murfield.
Fishburn Park and Whitby Fishermens Society do battle. Pictures by Brian Murfield.

A Whitby derby in the MacMillan Bowl saw Premier Division defeat first division as Fishburn Park saw off Whitby Fishermens Society 3-0.

The Broomfield Park club put on a strong display with ex-Whitby Town striker Jake Faichney firing a brace.

Andrew Menzies added the third as Park earned a place in the semi-finals.

Redcar Newmarket defeated Fishburn Park on Wednesday night in the North Riding Football League Premier Division 2-0 after Ryan Hodgson and Dan McCauley found the net.

The Whitby side finished the match with 10 men after Sam Richardson’s dismissal.

Fishburn will travel to face Thornaby Dubliners in the semi-finals of the North Riding Football League Macmillan Bowl on Saturday April 28.

The Dubliners took a big step towards safety and dealt a blow to one of their rivals in the bottom half of the North Riding Football League Premier Division table, with a 4-0 victory over Staithes Athletic on Saturday.

Fourth-placed New Marske Lakes United beat Whitby Fishermens Society in Division One 2-1 on Wednesday night.

Luke Nicholson blasted a brace, while Karl Storr replied for Mark Jones’ men, who had goalkeeper Paul Cull sent off.

Sleights took the Beckett League second division title after a hard-fought 2-1 victory at rivals Thornton Dale Reserves on Monday.

Sam Leadley and Ed Turner’s men fell behind early on, but rallied before the break when Jack Henshaw was bundled over and Luke Jackson fired into the bottom-left corner, from the penalty spot.

The second half opened with Sleights on the front foot and the visitors took the lead for the first time.

Again Henshaw was the architect as he turned superbly and beat two Dale defenders before hammering home for 2-1.

The hosts battled hard and exerted pressure late on, but the villagers held on to take the title at the first time of asking and with one game to spare.

The Sleights man of the match was Jackson.

That followed a 1-0 win at Heslerton Reserves on Saturday.

Chris Warrior’s winner ensured Sleights’ promotion from the league’s second tier.

Sleights beat Duncombe Park 2-0 in their Panasonic Cup quarter-final on Wednesday night.

Ben Wilson and Charlie Smith were on target.

Sleights travel to Gillamoor in the semi-finals.

On Saturday Lealholm beat Thornton-le-Dale 3-1 in Division One.

Mark McCarthy fired Lealholm into a 65th minute lead with a dipping shot after good work by Sam Wiggins.

Twelve minutes later Wiggins set up Jaime Nicholson to score to double his side’s lead.

Dale came back with a late rally when Dan Greaves scored after 85 minutes, but Nicholson set up McCarthy to score his second in the last minute for a 3-1 win.

Man of the match was midfielder Wiggins.

Lealholm entertained local rivals Rosedale on Monday night and were worthy 7-0 winners.

First-half goals were scored by Josh Hodgson, man of the match Jaime Nicholson, Loui Fergus, Sam Russell, and Mark McCarthy.

In the second half McCarthy added a second early on, Sam Bailey missed a penalty on the hour mark, but he scored a late goal to wrap up the scoring.

The Tigers will contest this season’s Scarborough and District FA Junior Cup final tonight (Friday April 20), against Wombleton, kick off 7.30pm at Whitby Town’s Turnbull Ground.

Admission to the game is £2 for adults and £1 for concessions.

Fishburn Park Reserves stunned promotion-chasing Snainton in Division Two of the Scarborough & District Saturday League, taking the three points after a surprise 5-1 victory.

The goals for the victors came courtesy of a Marc Usher double and goals from Paul Jobling, Dan Brown and Andrew Young.

Andrew Kelly was the man of the match for the victors, who were also reduced to 10 men after Dan Smith was sent off after receiving two yellow cards.

Goldsborough United played a double-header against Cayton Corinthians on Saturday.

Hosts United won the first game 3-0 before the visiting Corinthians hit back to take the second 3-1.