First defeat in three years for Park U14s

FISHBURN Park under 14s lost their first game for three years as they failed to take the opportunity to return to the top of the league.

Scholes Park were the visitors and they had been soundly beaten 7-3 on the previous meeting six weeks ago.

However, Fishburn have been struggling of late and Scholes scored after just seven minutes. A long-range strike rebounded off the bar and the un-marked striker pounced to give Dan Jinks no chance.

After the goal Fishburn got their passing game going and looked good, Luke Stokoe was heading away the danger with Harry Lightwing mopping up at the back.

Jay Stonehouse carried the ball confidently out of defence. Sam Pike went on one of his trade mark runs and after beating a couple of players just had the keeper to beat but shot wide.

Liam Clarkson and Harry Purves were combining well and Nathan Storr was motoring down the left wing.

Some nice one-two play between Spencer Hewison and Tom Shrimpton and a cross found Storr on the edge of the box and his shot beat the keeper for pace into the bottom corner.

Fishburn dominated territory and looked comfortable in possession but the Scholes keeper made two fantastic saves to keep the scores tied going into the break. Jack Idle and Charlie Checkley were brough on.

Chester Adamski set Idle away almost immediately but his shot hit the side netting.

Clarkson and Purves carved an opening with some intricate play but Purves’ shot went just wide.

The second goal finally came after a charge down by Checkley saw him cleverly lob the keeper to make it 2-1.

Fishburn were in control but Scholes’ long ball tactics were causing trouble at the back.

Clarkson beat two defenders to create an opening but his shot hit the bar.

Bryn Kirby came off the bench to add some pace to the attack. Scholes nearly drew level but a superb save by Jinks denied the striker. However, some poor marking just inside the box allowed the striker to get the equaliser via the near post.

The last 10 minutes was all Scholes and the long ball over the top tactic worked again as the away striker sprinted clear of the centre-halves, although Jinks came off his line he was beaten to the ball leaving the striker to tap home the winner.

Man of the match: Liam Clarkson. Gave everything for the team and covered every inch of the pitch.

Fishburn Park U14s 2 Scholes Park U14s 3